Admiral oven door latch

Old 12-26-08, 04:15 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Admiral oven door latch

Howdy;
I'm trying to repair an Admiral gas stove w/ a self cleaning oven.Model#DF255677, Ser#13730930US.
Symptom:Oven does not come on. Warning light on panel says "door latch". I suppose this means the latch sensor is stuck.
If I can get to the switch I can test for continuity. I can see the latch but I cannot access the latch or switch w/o removing an enameled panel on the interior front of the oven, The switch is mounted to this panel with two screws at the top. The door hinges are attached to the bottom. Where do I start??
There are no exposed screws on the panel and I think I will have to remove the top and sides. This looks like a big job. I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks.

Old 12-27-08, 05:10 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Arrow More Details Requested

Hello Sir (b crapster?)and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Some assumptions.......have to be made here..... Nowhere included within your posted problem description is it mentioned if you can you open the door?

Can you open the door? YES? or NO?

Is the door able to be opened? or is the door closed and locked shut?...

Help us to help you. Provide the information requested above please. Knowing the above helps us help you... Otherwise, all we can do is make assumptions....

Assumption: Door locked shut and cannot be opened.

Usually but not always, the lever handle is the problem. It is made of thin metal and gets bent easily. Try bending the lever straight and level.

If the above is the case, lever does not work and door locked shut, unplug the oven or turn off the power to it. Remove the decorative front cover trim around the front panels lever.

Getting the oven door locking mechanism to open when the door is stuck shut, usually requires removing the front panel to access locking device from above door for built in wall ovens. Same usually applies to free standing ranges. (non built in ovens)

Sometimes possible to unlock door by straightening an unbent or slight bent door locking lever. Usually slightly bent horizontally, not vertically. Thus not moving far enough into the unlocking position. Minor adjustment may resolve the problem.

Other times may have to use thin bladed screw driver inserted into slot and attempt to depress and release lock. Works sometimes using this method but not always.

If locking device is accessed from inside and device appears damaged or any doubts about damage, must be replaced. If able to unlock from outside and without internal access, door may or may not release again once locked. Part(s) may be damaged. New part(s) available at local appliance parts stores.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance part stores and dealers are listed in the phone book.

Check back on your question several more times. Other moderators and or members posting replies in this forum topic may offer you additional advice, ideas, suggestions, test and or repair methods.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using this method moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.

Old 12-27-08, 09:38 AM
B
Thank you for the reply. Yes the door opens. The problem started when the oven was cleaned. Cleaning worked fine. Door opened and closed. Trying to start the oven with the "on" button creates a warning "door latch" and stops. Latch moves freely side to side.
Wondering if I can bypass switch at rear panel? Is switch NO or NC? Would the PCB be bad, or maybe switch stuck? Thanks. Sorry for not being clearer.

Old 12-28-08, 06:25 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: BC

I some instances the door locking mechanism can be bypassed by disconnecting the wires to it. Works in some instances but not in all instances.

You'll have to give it a try and determine the results....????.... Some electronic boards will allow a bypass of electrical current, while others will not. Worth a try.

Some boards require continuity through door lock circuit to complete the circuit to the board or the front panel displays the error message. It's a safety feature built in to prevent self cleaning mode, while door is not locked or closed, etc.

Possible and/or likely the switch is not physically disconnecting (still closed - stuck shut) when cleaning cycle is completed.

You'll need to physically see locking device micro switch to determine it's position. (Opened or Closed) Worth a try, as is worth a try to disconnect it or bypass it or you may have to replace it and hope it resolves the condition.

Regards and Good Luck.......

BTW:
IMO
One additional reason why I will not buy or have an oven with a "Self Cleaning" cycle or "Self Cleaning Mode."........ As a former service tech, I know what happens.......

Old 01-01-09, 08:07 AM
B
Thank you again. The problem now is how to get to the switch. The switch is behind a panel. The enameled panel is located just inside the door and has no visible screws.. Do I have to disassemble the whole stove to get to it?

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: