Propane stove broiler problems

Old 01-19-09, 04:49 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Propane stove broiler problems

The broiler on my propane stove will only produces a tiny flame. The stove is a GE Spectra JGBP30 and is only 3 years old. The broiler is on the top. We have tried replacing the ignitor, and the gas regulator. We even tried swapping the oven ignitor with the broiler one. No change. Everything else works great!

Thanks

Old 01-19-09, 08:16 PM
D
Take the burner out and make sure it's clean. Check the tube and orifice as well. Did it work ok before? it's possible you might have a bad broiler gas valve.

Old 01-20-09, 06:05 PM
A
Thanks, I will try that. Yes, it worked fine for 2.5 years. We got it new. Where is the broiler gas valve?

Old 01-20-09, 06:52 PM
D
The broiler gas valve should be in the oven near the broiler burner. Can you pst the brand and model# of your stove? Thanks.

Old 01-21-09, 02:35 PM
A
The burner is clean, but no change.

I don't see the gas valve, I will check the manual

GE Spectra JGBP30

Old 01-21-09, 07:40 PM
D
When you swapped ignitors, did the oven burner work ok? To find the gas valve follow the tube from the burner back to the valve. It looks like you have a dual valve- $$$, iow- it serves both burners. Before condeming the gas valve, you'll first need to see if you are getting voltage to the burner ignitor. Can you post the complete model #? There's a tag somehwere on the stove with the mod and serial #'s. I'm thinking the problem is either with the controller or the gas valve, niether of which will be cheap. Let us know what you find. Thanks.

Old 01-23-09, 04:37 PM
A
Swap is a poor choice of word. We put the oven ignitor in the broiler, but didn't put the broiler one in the oven because it was brand new. If the gas valve is the gas regulator, we already replaced that. The full model # is JGBP30WEK1WW. Thanks for the brain storms.

Old 01-24-09, 07:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Lightbulb Additional Possible Causes

Hello annienomis. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

I agree. The word swap is a poor choice of wording. A swap did not take place because the igniter's where not both installed. Only the oven igniter was installed into the broiler.

The question to you is, what happened when the oven igniter was installed into the broiler??? Knowing this would shed light on what the most likely cause is or was for the original problem.

If the broiler worked fine, meaning the burners flame size was or is presently of the correct size, the original igniter for the broiler was the most likely direct cause of the problem. Most likely the original igniter was glowing to weak to allow the gas valve to open and/or open fully.

If the same condition existed, after installing the oven igniter into the broiler, small broiler burner flame size was still present, most likely cause is a defective gas control valve. Which is the rectangular aluminum part the burner tube sets on.

A rare but possible cause is a spider web in the orifice and/or burner tube. Which would effect only that one burner and not any other burner. Rare but possible. Check both the burners tube and inside the orifice. A web could.......or may exist...

Terminology Clarifications:
A gas control valve is NOT the same part as a gas regulator. Gas control valve controls the burners flame size. Control valve, as described above, has the brass or bronze orifice screwed onto it, the burner tube sets on it and it has two wires attached to it. Located inside the baking and/or broiler compartment, most commonly.

A gas regulator controls both gas pressure and gas flow volume into the entire gas appliance. Not to any one burner.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician....Beer 4U2

Old 01-24-09, 01:15 PM
A
I darn near took apart the entire oven; The gas regulator (at the incoming line to the gas supply) has been replaced. Both ignitors are working fine (proven when we put the oven one in the broiler) and I can not find another valve anywhere. I put a bottle brush through the tube in case of webs (damn spiders). I even looked under the top stove burners-which all work fine. I just tried to get a broiler flame again and it burned very small for a few minutes then retreated to burning from the line coming in from the regulator. I'm out of ideas. Beer 4U2

Old 01-24-09, 09:51 PM
D
Go to either parts for your needs or Parts & Accessories | Shop & Find Lawn & Garden, Appliance Parts at Sears PartsDirect | SearsPartsDirect.com. Input your model # and look at the parts diagram for gas and burner parts. What item did you replace? Was it # 214 in the diagram? Also. how much voltage do you have at the broiler ignotor when the ignitor is energized?

Old 01-25-09, 10:53 AM
A
Yes, that is the part we replaced. On checking the voltage; Where do we put the multimeter leads? How much voltage does it need?

Old 01-25-09, 12:43 PM
A
You won't Friggin believe it....my husband and I took apart the line going from the regulator to the burner element and it was partially blocked. Once we removed the fitting at the end we saw a little needle-like valve inside. We cleaned it with a paperclip....voila! Its fixed! Talk about taking the scenic route to a solution. Fortunately we barterd for the parts so we aren't out any cash. Thanks so much for all your help.

Old 01-25-09, 05:15 PM
D
I believe it. You're welcome. I'm glad it was something simple just hard to find. Thanks for the feedback, it will help others.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: