Left rear burner clicking, but no spark produced

Old 03-02-09, 01:25 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Left rear burner clicking, but no spark produced

Have a gas range. Back left burner will click when turned on but will not produce a spark. All other burners spark and operate correctly. Turning on the left rear burner (one not working) produces spark in all others as expected so don't think its the spark module. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-03-09, 02:07 PM
H
This problem could be caused by numerous things.

First, check the electrode. The insulator could be cracked causing it to arc at the base as opposed to the burner it self.

Second, check the wiring. Connections should be snug. Wiring intact.

Third, the ignition module. Just because the other three burners are working doesn't rule out the ignition module.

Note: Do not attempt to test for spark while holding on to any of the above components. The spark will bite.

Old 03-03-09, 03:57 PM
V
Love the note. After zapping myself with 220 volts when re-wiring a light when stationed in Germany I never assume with electricity

The base doesn't appear to be cracked. The reading I've done seems to indicate that the circuit is inclusive, meaning that if it was a wire (loose, or disconnected) there would be no spark anywhere, wrong?

Old 03-03-09, 04:04 PM
F
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
how do you know its not sparking at the burner. is there gas coming out of the burner.

Old 03-04-09, 05:40 AM
V
I take the burner cover off and turn the burner knob to the start position. No spark. I take all burner covers off and get spark on the other three burners. Yes, it has a gas supply. I currently use a kitchen lighter.

Old 03-04-09, 01:45 PM
H
Originally Posted by vwarnick View Post
The base doesn't appear to be cracked. The reading I've done seems to indicate that the circuit is inclusive, meaning that if it was a wire (loose, or disconnected) there would be no spark anywhere, wrong?
Wrong. In most cases the electrodes are wired to separate ports on the ignition module. From the module the one wire will go to each electrode and then the electrode/burner will ground to the range.

What you might try is if you can access to under the burners, swap two of the wires going to the electrodes and see if the bad burner lights. If it doesn't it is the electrode. If the other burner does not light it's likely the module.

Last edited by hankhill6018; 03-04-09 at 02:34 PM.