Toxic smell from oven


  #1  
Old 04-10-09, 10:12 AM
Y
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question Toxic smell from oven

I have a Tappan Millenia which emits an extremely toxic smell, something like burning plastic. I put a new igniter in about 2 years ago, and that seems to be working...it does glow even when the burner is not on. Is that the way it normally functions, staying on until it opens the thermocouple opens to light the burner again?

I have no idea what it could be. The smell is overwhelming - it's not subtle. I took all the racks out and it still does it.
I know this might sound unusual and a bit vague to some. Any ideas?
 
  #2  
Old 04-10-09, 10:49 AM
airman.1994's Avatar
Member
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: VA
Posts: 5,491
Upvotes: 0
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
If you can tell us what the toxins or we might be able to help some more.
 
  #3  
Old 04-10-09, 01:36 PM
pugsl's Avatar
Forum Topic Moderator
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: United States
Posts: 8,161
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
Ha ve you been painting, cleaning, using solvents anywhere near oven? all of these things will make oven smell bad.
 
  #4  
Old 04-18-09, 02:34 PM
Y
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Re: Toxic smell from oven

Thanks for the input. This is a serious issue. Of course I would take note if there was any toxic fumes, oven cleaner used, painting in the area, etc. But I guess you gotta assume everything and anything here. This has been going on for about a month. I can't use the oven at all.
The igniter glows only when I have the oven on. It does not glow when the oven is turned off. Now that I remember, it does glow immediately when I turn if on until the thermocouple opens. I guess it would stay on standby regardless of temperature reached.
I've never heard of this before. It is really wierd.
 
  #5  
Old 04-19-09, 06:23 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello yodelaehee and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Oven operation is correct. Igniter suppose to turn on and remain on when burner is ignited. Igniter turns off when temp. reached and burner turns off.

Oven has been working as it has for past two years, as you stated, so that has nothing to do with any odors or likely to do with any. The issue here is an odor and not operation.

Thinking outside the box.... An odor developed recently. Not as a result of any petroleum products being used recently.

But I guess you gotta assume everything and anything here.
Odor may be a result of some item dropped into oven during prior usage and is unseen but melting away maybe....???? Kids playing and left something inside? Insects and/or a varmint inside cabinet walls, above and behind panel control area or beneath appliance? All possibilities.

And we are all agreeing with you "This is a serious issue." We understand and not taken lightly. However, all possibilities have to be considered and checked out. Odors are one of the most difficult problems to describe in text only format and determine a cause for.....

Focusing on all the possible sources of an odor instead of oven operation much more likely to determine the cause.

Check out all sources. Describe the odor in more details.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."
 
  #6  
Old 04-19-09, 01:47 PM
Y
Member
Thread Starter
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 39
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
You say the igniter turns off when temperature reached and burner turns off. I wonder if that may be the problem. When I first turn the oven on, the igniter glows until I guess it gets hot enough to open the gas valve. But it stays on even when temp is reached and burner turns off. I've looked over every square inch of this thing to try to find a clue. Also trying to figure out how to put the smell in an email...maybe I can send it as an attachment...
 
 

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
 
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: