Viking Range Ignition - One Burner ??

Old 05-08-09, 09:55 AM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Viking Range Ignition - One Burner ??

Viking VGRT 9 years old
When I turn on the knob for the RF burner, I get gas, but no spark. If I turn on the RR I get spark on both burners. All other are OK. Seems like the ignition module is OK.
I'm guessing it's the switch in the control that is not making contact ..

Is there a contact I can clean in the valve/control? or is there another likely culprit in this.

Does anyone other than Viking sell Viking parts?
Any sources for tips on getting the control out?

Thanks in advance.
Peter

Old 05-09-09, 07:02 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Peter and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

Chances are only the switch is defective. Not the control. Each should be a separate part. Switch should lift off the stem easily once all the wires are removed.

If you're handy, have the time and an OHM meter, disconnect electrical power to entire appliance, remove that switch and do a continuity test on that switch. Likely defective. Replace it.

Alternate test, if you're into excessive testing and have still more time, would be to interchange the switches on the stems and note the results.

Another possibility is to leave it as it is until some additional problem develops. Like yet another switch fails... Then replace them both or all at one time.... slightly inconvenient but far less work at this time.

Additional Advice Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Retail appliance parts dealers will have the part and can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

***If and or when you attempt any repairs, "Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs. Always check for gas leaks whenever the appliance is moved and/or a repair includes any connection of a gas part."

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Web Site Host, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator & Multiple Forums Moderator. Energy Conservation Consultant & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics and Repair Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder:
Buckle Up & Drive Safely. "The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 05-14-09, 04:39 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharp,
Thanks for the advice and confirmation I was on track. found the parts from Viking at $3.00 each I bought both they had in stock. Since our young kids have just started using the stove, I opted to replace them as they go. Otherwise the risk is they will turn the burner on, gas starts to flow and does not ignite till a few minutes later when they turn on another burner and our daughters hair gets quickly shorter.

I'll tape the other spare somewhere inside the range so I can find it next year when it goes.

I guess it's all about risk analysis. Doing my own piping where I can control the risk and test as I go seems OK, leaving a trap for my kids scares me.

thanks again.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: