Tappan Gas Stove Help!

Old 06-14-09, 06:42 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tappan Gas Stove Help!

So grateful I found this site! Tappan stove, with the house when we bought 3 yrs ago, probably original, ~1986. Has served us well, Pilotless Auto Ignition on top suddenly became erratic several months ago, now just as suddenly working fine..but..when problems on top resolved themselves, oven will no longer light. Confirmed plugged in, took off heat shield, ignitor lights, but no flame to heat unit. Only mild gas odor, I do not leave it on 'hoping' it will light for more than a few minutes. Numbers on interior label as follows:30-2042-23/11067-8601F247. Can you guide me on the part which may be causing this, and are there any safety issues with me doing so. Is original manual available for me to read?
Thank you, Thank you! Lori

Sponsored Links
Old 06-14-09, 07:38 PM
D
Even though you see the oven ignitor glowing, what happens over time is they get weak and do not put out enough heat to safely ignite the gas. If the proper current is not flowing through the ignitor, the gas valve will not open. Ignitors only come in 2 flavors, round and flat {however there is also a flat avalable that has the same operating characteristics as the round]. Ignitors are very generic and universal. The fact that the ignitor is glowing tells us that power is going to the ignitor that the gas valve is probably ok because the ignitor and the gas valve are wired in series. It's unusual to have a gas valve fail. Can you recheck the model #? I can't get it to work. Most likely your oven uses part # 5303935066 which is a short flat style ignitor but it needs to be looked up to be sure. Scroll down in this forum and you'll see that a few folks have had the same exactly situation as you. Let us know how you make out.

Old 10-17-09, 04:04 PM
E
Tappan Stove

I have a tappan stove and now when i turn on the oven switch the ignition keeps clicking even after you remove it from the start possition, at times it will trun off but it will turn back on the ignition, if anyone knows what that could be and how to resolve the issue can you please let me know thanx