Want to disconnect Noisy Stove Clock

Old 08-18-09, 01:23 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Want to disconnect Noisy Stove Clock

I have a 35 year old Magic Chef gas stove model # 34BA-4-CKXW with a bad clock. The clock screams when the stove is plugged in so I disconnected the hot lead to the clock. Now it's pleasantly quiet and all the stovetop igniters work but the broiler and oven igniters won't work. I'm not going to waste my money on a rebuilt clock because they never work long in my experience, so--Is there any way to disable the clock but still leave the oven and broiler working? I hate to scrap a perfectly good appliance if I don't have to. Thank you, Larry

Old 08-20-09, 07:32 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello larrysal. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Igniter's (oven and broiler) fail to operate because all the electrical power to the clock was removed. Power to the igniter's runs through the clock. You'll need to determine which wire runs only the clock. Remove only that one and leave the rest.

***Cautionary Reminder Note:***
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Additional Advice and Information Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information, Fault Codes & Mfg's Web Site Links Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: