Smell of gas in the kitchen

Old 09-27-09, 08:22 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Smell of gas in the kitchen

Hi,

I have recently moved to a small town, and here gas tanks are used for cooking and water heating. Today I have noticed quite a strong smell of gas coming from my cooker. Can this happen because the gas in the tank is almost over? Is it safe to try and change the tank to a new one and see what happens, or should I call some kind of gas service and not attempt anything myself?

PS I have turned the gas off, so it doesn't smell anymore.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-27-09, 09:28 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Are you in the U.S.A? I have seen propane/butane tanks indoors in countries like the Philippines but in most parts of the US it is illegal and always dangerous. The tanks need to be outside. I can't answer why you had a leak but it could be a bad fitting. You can check that buy brushing on a child's bubble pipe solution or a mixture of water and dish washing detergent and looking for bubbles.

Old 09-27-09, 10:26 AM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Thanks a lot for your advice. I'm going to try it right now. I am in Portugal, but don't speak the language yet. My tanks are indeed outdoors, but many people here use small tanks inside their apartments.

I have moved the cooker a bit - it seems that the hose was a bit bent, and when I turn the gas on it doesn't smell anymore. Now that the panic is over, it seems to me that the problem is the hose - the label on it says "valid until 2007-01", so I have to call the service anyway and replace all the old stuff.

Old 09-27-09, 10:39 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
Yes, replace the hose. It isn't worth the risk. If you ever use a tank inside always shut the tank off when your done and be sure it can't be knocked over. I'd secure it to a wall or other fixed object.