GE Sprectra XL44 oven making strange noise

Old 10-02-09, 12:02 PM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Sprectra XL44 oven making strange noise

Now that I have this in the right forum:

Our GE XL44 oven is taking a long time to heat up plus making a very strange noise during the process. It sounds like Obiwan is trying to dismantle the the Death Star (remember that scene?) with a "klunk" at the end. Anyone have any thoughts to why and why it takes so long to heat up. Not even sure if the tempearture is right. Does seem to take a long time to bake anything.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-09-09, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello rbitterb and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Most common and likely cause is a weak glow igniter (HSI). Replacing a weak glowing igniter very often resolves the described condition.

All the advice, instruction and info needed is in the sticky note. HERE

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Additional Suggestions:
Read the manufacturers on line web site for product information, problem possibilities, causes, solving methods, part locations, disassembly, reassembly methods, repair procedures, pictorials, schematics, repair and or owners manuals which may be available on line.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 10-09-09, 10:49 AM
R
Thanks for the reply.
I did contact the local appliance part store and the tech guy there thought it would be the ECR based on the description I gave him. Which was:
Besides the strange sound with a pop (or klunk sound) every 3 minutes, at the time of the pre-heating, (which the temp was set for 425) that once it got to about 345 it just jumped to 425 and then beep like normally does when reaching the set temperature. I thought it stranged to just jump that quickly. Temperature was obviously not correct because it took two hours to bake a couple potatoes. Even then they were not completely done.
Ignitor is a heck of a lot cheaper than an ECR. Anyway of knowing for sure which my be the culprit?

Old 10-11-09, 06:57 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: rbitterb

Based upon the temperature readings, the condition could and/or may be the temperature control circuitry on the ECR board.

As mentioned, suggest replacing the igniter. Often times solves the problem of long baking times, etc. Quicker and far less expense then an ECR and might resolves the present condition described.

As to the noise, often times a minor adjustment to the air shutter on the burner tube, closing the shutter just slightly, enrich-ens the fuel to air mixture, which solves the burners popping and most other heard noises.

Sorry, any scenes in that movie or any other of such movie, used to describe the ovens problem, not helpful.......

>>> Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums <<<

Old 10-23-09, 04:06 AM
R
Here's an update

Ok, I finally had time to buy an inxpensive oven thermomentor.
Set the oven to 400. Once the oven display got to around 320 it just jump up to 400 in 3 seconds. Oven thermomemtor indicated temp was around 320 mark. I turned the oven off and then turned it back on (within 5 seconds). The digital display says 313, which is pretty close to what the thermomentor says. The 313 remains that temp for the next 15 minutes and the oven thermomentor also never moves and nothing sounds like it's heating but it does glow orange underneath. What do think? ECR or the ignitor?
Again, thanks for your input on this.

Old 11-04-09, 08:43 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: rbitterb

Since the ovens gas valve operated well initially, it got warm as well as warm in the oven or broiler section wherever the igniter is located.

The warmth of the gas valve from usage also raised it's internal temp. Which in turn raised it's internal resistance to electric flow. If the glow igniter is weak, it is not likely to produce enough current to overcome that resistance.

Replacing the glow igniter (HSI) In My Opinion (IMO) would be the best possible, least expensive and easiest first diy repair attempt.

Likelihood is the HSI is worn-out. If that resolves the condition, great.....

If not,..... ECR next part replacement, as suggested and recommended by parts dealer.

Additional advice & instructions:HERE

Good Luck.

Old 11-05-09, 07:44 AM
R
Great - going for the part to replace this weekend - will let you know how it turns out.
Really appreciate your input! Thanks again!!

Old 11-08-09, 08:26 AM
R
Replaced the ignitor as suggested and happy to report that all is well! Thanks again for your great input to solve this problem! Now onto my refigerator problem (does it ever end?)