Need help with Dryer Gas Leak-ASAP

Old 10-05-09, 02:44 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Need help with Dryer Gas Leak-ASAP

Ok here is my situation.

I just recently purchased a home with gas dryer. I hooked up the gas dryer and did the leak detection with some stuff that came with my gas dryer hookup kit. It looked like some yellow solution in a little plastic pouch. I did not see any bubbles. So all was well. Then i started to smell gas and cut off the gas valve. I called my gas company and they came out and took a look. He came to the conclusion that the problem was a leak between my adapter that connects to the gas hose and dryer. So I went to lowes and got some gas thread seal tape and came home and rehooked everything back up. Tested with some leak detection solution. I did not see any bubbles again. I still smell gas. Could the smell just be from when the gas person from the gas company had it on and testing and it needs to just be aired out, or should I call them to come back out and check again?

The only other thing that it could possible be, is a loose gas connection inside the dryer.

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-05-09, 03:22 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Do you have the right fitting connected?? Flare to flare and pipe threads to pipe threads???

Old 10-05-09, 03:35 PM
D
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Do you have the right fitting connected?? Flare to flare and pipe threads to pipe threads???
What do you mean? I am a new home owner so trying to learn. But the adapter does fit with no problems at all. So the one side that connects to the dryer is flat and not semi pointed like a bullet.

Sorry if that is not what you are asking for.

Old 10-06-09, 03:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Need to go to local hardware store and see what different fittig look like. But since you are working with gas I would call in a pro to fix.

Old 10-06-09, 10:27 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
If you had the right connections, wht didn't the gas co repair it for you? Seems like that would be part of their service. Did he leave it as found or cap it off?

Old 10-06-09, 10:31 AM
D
Originally Posted by mbk3 View Post
If you had the right connections, wht didn't the gas co repair it for you? Seems like that would be part of their service. Did he leave it as found or cap it off?
Well he told me the adapter was not the right one. I went to the hardware store and they do not have any other size adapter. So I ended up buying some gas teflon tape and trying to wrap it correctly. Left the gas on and did not seem to work. The same guy came out today and checked everything in the house. He also brought in some liquid thread sealant and reconnected the new hose and use the sealant to seal off all connections. Left the gas on and did not smell anything. I will see tonight. He also showed me the gas connector on the dryer seems loose, so he said if this sealant does not work, then it could be inside the dryer.

Hopefully what he did fixed it.

Edit: He said the tape is not really the best thing to use.

This is the sealant he used

16 oz No 5 Pipe Thread Sealant # 25431 by Rectorseal Corporation

Old 10-11-09, 02:01 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
First of all, neither teflon tape nor thread sealant should be used on compression fittings such as those for gas flex connectors. Doing so can actually cause a leak, especially teflon tape.

Compression fittings are designed to form a gas tight seal between the two machined surfaces when they are tightened up.

A common DIY mistake is to connect a flex connector to an iron pipe nipple --- a regular piece of threaded pipe. That will cause a leak. The flex connector should connect to another fitting that has a machined surface that mates to the one on the flex connector.

It's hard to believe that a gas repairman would miss that error, though.

It sounds like you've called the gas company out twice because you are incompetent at doing the job. The minimum skill you need is to track down any gas leak on your work yourself, using a 50% water and dishwashing detergent solution and a paint brush or spray bottle. Any leak you can smell will cause that to bubble up.

Frankly, it's obvious that you don't have a clue on how to do this job. You hire someone or find a friend, neighbor or relative with the requisite skills to do the job for you.