Are Old Gas Pilot Lights Safe?

Old 10-22-09, 11:45 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Are Old Gas Pilot Lights Safe?

Hi,
I just bought a 1950's O'Keefe and Merritt stove. Now my husband says it is too dangerous since the pilot lights don't have a failsafe if they blow out. He fears that if we were away from home for a few days and an unlit pilot light pumped gas into the house undetected, we will all get blown to smithereens when we arrive home and switch on the light . I suppose it is possible, but is this a serious concern?

Can these pilots be retrofitted with failsafe equipped pilot lights or electronic ignition?
Thank you all for your input.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-09, 12:45 PM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
The chances of a pilot light going out on a old stove are .000001 as compared to if you are home.

The amount of gas released from a pilot light is .000001 parts per a million compared to the air inside of your home. Most times you could not even smell it - even if it did blow out.

All houses leaks more air around the windows and doors than the amount of gas released by pilot lights.

Your house is not going to be blown to smithereens if the pilot light goes out.

Tell him he is just being silly.

Old 10-26-09, 02:14 PM
A
Received 2 Votes on 2 Posts
Look at it this way. The stove is 50 something years old already and it hasn't blown up!

Why would the pilot go out with no one around? There shouldn't be a draft in the stove.

Don't worry about it. Hubby's over reacting. If you really want to keep him happy, put a gas detector in somewhere in the kitchen. If he hears it going off tell him not to turn on the light.

Old 10-30-09, 02:02 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
I have worked on many many O'keefe's and find them to be GREAT. Don't let the pilot lights scare you.