Gas dryer solenoids

Old 11-01-09, 06:30 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas dryer solenoids

I have a magic chef gas dryer. It would heat up then stop. I checked the vent, tested all thermostats. All were in normal order. I tested the gas solenoids and didn't get continuity out of both. So I ordered a set. When the new set came in, I checked them and didn't get continuity from them ether. I had already installed them. So thinking I got a bad set, I just put plugs on them and buttoned up the machine. I had the drum out so after getting it back together I ran it to test it. I'd use it till I get another set. Well the thing not only heated up, it stayed hot. A few loads later it still stays hot and runs normal.

My question after this somewhat long pre-amble is why didn't I get continuity from the new coils? I'm familar with coils and the function but never had a set get a bad check and then solve the problem.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-02-09, 03:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 71 Votes on 64 Posts
Continuity will not work on coils, resistance to high. You have to ohm them. Coils open after they are heated that is why you got a little heat to start.

Old 11-02-09, 05:02 PM
V
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
Continuity will not work on coils, resistance to high. You have to ohm them. Coils open after they are heated that is why you got a little heat to start.
Ok, thanks. I have an idea on how they work but was somewhat unsure on how to test. I read the following from here. That's why I was looking for continuity.

It's also possible one or both of the solenoids could be defective and or the gas valve could be defective. There are two solenoids... both are on top of the gas valve. All terminals on both solenoids must have continuity. If not, you'll need to remove them from the top of the gas valve by removing the entire gas valve assembly first.

I did find a link on how to test them for the testing impaired like me.
Solenoid relay contactor testing and troubleshooting repair | Testing with ohm meter coils and relays