Magic Chef Gas Range Will Not Ignite On It's Own Anymore

Old 11-04-09, 06:13 PM
P
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Magic Chef Gas Range Will Not Ignite On It's Own Anymore

For quite sometime now, my gas oven will not ignite on it's own anymore. I know that the orange glowing ignitor needs to be replaced on it. What I have done to get the oven to ignite is slam the broiler door and for the most part, the oven does ignite. It used to be that I only had to do it once or twice and then the oven would ignite on it's own after that, but that ain't the case anymore. I have to slam the door everytime and it dosen't always light up everytime now. Sometimes I can't cook anything because of it. I would like to know how to replace the ignitor, what type to get? How hard is it to do?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-05-09, 06:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello pcdoctor and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

Classic symptom of a weak glow igniter. (HSI) Not all that expensive nor difficult to replace. Usually only two screws secure it to the burner tube and one two wire lead with a quick disconnect at the end.

Remove it and replace it with an exact OEM part. Which can be obtained from any local appliance parts store in your area. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

More info Here:
Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Maytag Appliance Home Page:
http://www.maytag.com
Maytag 1-800-688-9900 USA
Maytag 1-800-688-2002 Canada
Maytag is also the maker of Amana, Jenn-Air, Magic Chef and Caloric Appliances.