Old gas oven/heater, pilot to oven won't stay lit

Old 11-14-09, 04:08 PM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Angry Old gas oven/heater, pilot to oven won't stay lit

So I've read through a lot of these yet I still can't find one that matches mine completely.

I have an old gas oven/heater, and I mean old. It is a Magee. The heater works. The burners work 100%. And until about 2 months ago the oven worked great! But all of a sudden around the end of September the oven pilot went out. We got it lit and then the problem began...

The oven pilot will be on for an entire day...and then we will begin to preheat oven, all will seem okay, we will close the oven, go back ten minutes later and the coil is out and so is the pilot.

This happened every day for about a week. Ended up having to take the food out and cook it on the stove top every night.

Now we had a mechanic come in, he cleaned it..it seemed to be working and we made dinner one night.

And all of a sudden it is doing it again. We put down the broiler and watched what was happening, the flame will go about 85-90% of the way around. Then it will go back to just the pilot, and repeat over and over until finally, the pilot goes out.

Can someone PLEASE help me with this?? It's driving me crazy and my landlord thinks i'm making things up! I don't want to have to call him again...

Sponsored Links
Old 11-15-09, 06:38 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello katlynann85. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The Magee brand mostly commonly used a "Bryant" lighter type safety system. That's the part where the pilot flame is located and where the pilot flame increases in size to heat the safety element inside it.

Other types a safety systems are or can be used to keep the burner gas from coming out when no igniter flame is present. Based upon information provided and problem description, not a do-it-yourself repair unfortunately.

If the oven/broiler has a Bryant type ignition system.... (guessing here) that part is non repairable. If the safety is a "fluid" type, those are repairable and/or replaceable in many cases.

Since the appliance comes with the housing unit and is owned by someone other then yourself, no do-it-yourself repair of any type is advisable, recommended nor suggested.

Appliance needs a qualified kitchen appliance service tech. Any repairs or attempts to repair done incorrectly and/or improperly can be hazardous (IMO) sorry to say, regardless of safety system used in that older brand and model.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted.