old Wedgewood oven problems

Old 11-15-09, 04:34 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
old Wedgewood oven problems

Got an old Wedgewood half and half (wood and gas). The gas side is acting up. At first the oven burner wouldn't light at all (despite holding the over-ride button on the regulator (?)). So, I replaced the thermocouple and 'voila' it turned on. Then, as the temperature in the oven got to the set temperature, the flames reduced to nice small 'keep-it-just-right' levels. But, after a minute, they went out!? So, I looked at the temperature dial/mechanism to set the 'minimum flame' and there is only one little screw that looks like an adjustment so I messed with it (likely the first time in 50 years). It had an effect but not one that solved the problem. If I keep my finger on the over-ride, the flames reduce. So, I think the dial adjustment is working but I don't know which way to turn it. I am thinking it must be the regulator - the device that has the button I hold. But that is connected to the thermocouple. Could it be the thermocouple still?

Sponsored Links
Old 11-16-09, 10:11 AM
D
Wedgewood bump

Sorry, I am just getting frustrated and thought 'bumping' this might get an answer.

Old 11-16-09, 04:40 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
The device you pushed is the main burner safety. I am willing to guess the pilot flame may be to small and not impinging on the t'couple properly. As for the thermostat adjustment: Bet you turned the screw in the center, huh. That is for temp calibration. The minimum flame screw is either on the right or left side of the control, depends on how the thermostat is installed on the manifold. Are you able to call your local gas co and have one of their servicemen take a look?

Old 11-18-09, 04:39 PM
D
Serviceman? No, not really. I live on a remote island up the BC coast. Gotta fix everything myself. Learned all about the business end of an old genset last week. Looked like a wrinkled ol' baboons butt that had been dragged in the mud. Had to ferret around in the sphincter area for diodes - whatever they are - and replace them. The stove is easier by comparison.

Thanks for the tip on the temp adjustment. I'll try to find the 'low burner' adjustment on the side. I've got it working today but it's a bit tempermental.....it holds now and runs fine but it seems like the 'hold time' varies considerably from 15 seconds to almost a minute. Still, I am happier by far. Beer 4U2

Old 11-25-09, 08:20 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Describe the pilot burner flame. It should look like a small blowtorch. If it's yellow tipped or will blow around like a candle flame, the pilot burner and orifice need cleaning.

And what island are you on? Gulf island or up towards Desolation Sound? Very pretty country.