Okeefe ad Merritt double oven

Old 12-01-09, 12:04 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Okeefe ad Merritt double oven

We needed another oven as ours did not work so a neighbor gave us her old Okeefe and Merritt oven, which does work. The only problem is the seal [gasket] on the oven is deteriorated and missing in some spots. The oven, I assume, is 40 - 50 years old and I can't find the plate which shows the model and serial number.

Where can I get a new gasket, gasket material, and find the model # for the oven?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-01-09, 06:53 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
I'd try shopping around on the internet, looking for dealers in old gas ranges. I'm guessing you could find a range model without too much trouble, and you should be able to find a dealer who can supply you with material needed for repairs.

While I like old ranges, they are a 500 gas fittings any of which can start leaking at any time, and a bunch of parts all of which are well past their designed for life span.

If you want to develop the skills needed to maintain and repair your range yourself, because you LOVE old ranges, OK.

But if you are going to pay other people to make repairs, it's probably not much of a prize.

Old 12-02-09, 06:28 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello donpufahl. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Finding oven door gaskets shouldn't be any problem. They are very generic in design. Gasket molded around a flexible flat metal band with tabs on each end. Only variable is length.

Remove one from each side, top and side, if either is physically there or measure distance between slots on oven compartment frame. If gaskets are there remove and take to any local appliance parts store listed in your phone book.

Old 12-02-09, 06:08 PM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Originally Posted by donpufahl View Post
We needed another oven as ours did not work so a neighbor gave us her old Okeefe and Merritt oven, which does work. The only problem is the seal [gasket] on the oven is deteriorated and missing in some spots. The oven, I assume, is 40 - 50 years old and I can't find the plate which shows the model and serial number.

Where can I get a new gasket, gasket material, and find the model # for the oven?
Try here:
http://www.antiquegasstoves.com/page...o%27keefe.html
Google .."antique gas ranges" or "Vintage gas ranges" and you will see several sites. One I wish I could remember is called something like:
Florida antique ranges

Old 12-07-09, 08:40 AM
M
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Don
I wasn't able to respond to you using PM. Glad it seems to be working out. Let us know where you were able to buy needed material if you would.