Venting a wall gas oven

Old 12-07-09, 08:47 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Venting a wall gas oven

I am venting a wall gas oven in my kitchen and need advice. I am using 4" double wall vent pipe and need to know what clearances I need when going through cabinet shelves/tops and the ceiling and roof. I am getting conflicting stories. Some say 1" and some vary up to 6". Is there excessive heat from the vent from an oven? Some have no vents at all.
Thanks to anyone who can end my quandry

Donpufahl

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-09, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
There should be a label on the pipe saying the clearance. B-Vent is typicaly 1'' but read the label on the pipe.Most appliances will tell you what brands are allowed on there units. Then you follow the pipe instructions as to installation. B-Vent is usualy aluminum inside and galvanized metal outer. Sometimes it is stamped in the pipe as to who makes it. If you are buying new pipe it should be labeled. Be sure to follow the stove and pipe specs.

Old 12-09-09, 06:12 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello: Donpufahl

Wherever any flue pipe passes through or may come into contact with any of the areas or surfaces, such as those you mentioned, etc, a part called a "Ceiling Bucket" is required.

If you already have a gas hot water heater, look up where that flue pipe passes through the ceiling. Around the diameter of the flue pipe will be a ceiling bucket.

Only exception where the ceiling bucket may not be required per local code may be a flue pipe passing through a cabinet and only for built in ovens.

Exception also for walls where a clothes dryers exhaust hood passes through a wall. Does not apply to any other gas appliance. Has to due with the potential high temps of direct heat from burners in the exhaust pipes for those appliance.

Oven temps much lower and for shorter time spans. Two inches around cabinet flue pipe should allow sufficient cool air space. Flue pipe must not be in contact with surface except a ceiling bucket to meet codes.