Converting outside propane tanks to BBQ type?

Old 12-08-09, 06:12 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Converting outside propane tanks to BBQ type?

The house I have now uses the propane tanks (two that are about 4' tall 1' wide) just for the oven.

The yearly fees, refilling fees, lack of use fees... it's just way too expensive for something I rarely use anyway.

I was wondering... if I tell them to just come take their tanks and regulator is there any SAFE way to just put one of those BBQ grille type tanks outside?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-09, 06:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello aaron7. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

If the propane is used ONLY for the oven, as I suspect you're implying, the answer is yes.

However, I would install a propane tank or tanks that are used on a RV camper or mobile home instead of those used for an outdoor BBQ. You'll likely need the extra capacity of 7 or 8 gallon larger tank versus the 5 gallon size tank.

Basically, you'll be duplicating what is already there. Using one tank or two if you prefer. The down side is you'll own the equipment and have to transport the tank(s) to a refueling station when refilling is required.

Be sure to firmly secure the replacement tanks and locate them exactly where the existing tanks are now and exactly as they are now. Doing so will insure meeting all the required building & safety codes.

Old 12-09-09, 06:38 AM
Ok, that's all fine. There's a propane refil place right here in town.

Now, when I tell them to come take their tanks they will take the regulator as well.

Where can I get one of those? Also from the RV?

Old 12-09-09, 06:48 AM
Admin Emeritus
Hello: Aaron

Answer to regulator questions are both yes. Propane supplier owns all the present equipment. Any RV store that sells propane tanks used on camp trailers and such will have the regulator needed.

One regulator only needed. If two bottles used still only need one regulator. Basically you'll be setting up tank(s) exactly as they are on a camper trailer.

Kindly excuse me for not including the above info in first reply. Which I often do. All info in one reply. Except this time...

Old 12-09-09, 06:55 AM
Awesome, thanks.

Now, my next question.

The 5-gallon standard BBQ type are much easier to aquire. I can get them at any gas station via exchange.

The RV type 7+ gallon seem to be harder to find (at least used) and quite expensive.

Besides running out sooner, is there any reason NOT to use the 5 gallon style? Are the fittings different?

We use the stove very sparingly so I'm not overly worried about running out. Just want it there if we need it.

Old 12-09-09, 07:20 AM
Admin Emeritus
There isn't any reason I can determine why the smaller bbq size tanks would not work, based upon planned limited oven usage. Agree. Install one tank and keep a spare handy.

Ovens use about the same volume of fuel per single bbq burner per hour run time as a bbq. Only exception is baking results turn out poorly when fuel runs out & oven cools off during baking process of some heat sensitive items...

If you install a single tank, no hose should be installed. Solid connections only. Fittings, tubing and connections must be same as existing to insure safety & code compliance. Hose used between regulator and 2 tank installations should be okay in your area but I am not familiar with that aspect.

Hope this all helps. Good Luck......

Old 12-11-09, 09:09 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
With propane, you need heat to convert the liquid into a gas than can be used by appliances. It takes quite a bit of heat to do that.

Usually that heat is absorbed from the surrounding air, but if the gas used is too large an amount for too long a time, the propane tank wont be able to absorb enough heat and the gas pressure will drop sharply.

That's the main limitation on a small tank. Your tank may not be large enough to absorb the heat needed during cold weather, especially where lengthy use of the oven is involved.

So you might be taking chances with baking a Christmas turkey...

Old 12-11-09, 09:29 AM
Interesting, I never knew anything about that!

We won't be baking things; just want the stove top for pans and such.