Gas water heater (Rheem) runs colder when filling tub...

Old 01-12-00, 04:54 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a twelve year old Rheem water heater that began running out of hot water faster than usual. Could I need a new dip tube? If so how do I change it? My tub will start running cold after a minute of hot only being turned on. What else may be the problem? Nothing has changed since 1990.

Old 01-12-00, 08:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello Jack:

Since the tank is already 12 years old, it is very possible the dip tube has became broken or damaged.

However, prior to doing anything with the water heater, check ALL hot water shower faucets, if there are others. If you find exactly the same problem at another, then suspect the water heater.

If it's isolated to only that one shower faucet and it happens to be a single lever mixit valve, suspect that to be the cause first.

If you have a dishwasher and it appears to be okay after first filling up upon the first cycle, suspect only that shower faucet.

Before removing the dip tube, check it.
Turn off the inlet water valve, open a hot water faucet in a sink and remove some water through the flush valve.

Now remove the plug or pressure relief valve located on the side, <some are on the top> and with a flashlight look inside to see the condition of the dip tube. It should reach almost to the bottom of the tank.

If by some chance it doesn't or there are visable holes or cracks in it, it's bad.

In order to remove the dip tube, if necessary, the whole tank will need to be emptied and lowered to the floor if it's to close to the ceiling.

Since your dealing with the water heater anyway, now might be a good time to flush it even if it isn't the cause of the problem.

Good Luck
Tom

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocation:Saw & Tool Sharpening and Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.
E-Mail:TomBartco@doityourself.com

Personal Quote: "Drive Safely. The Life You Save,
May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: