Tappan Oven not working right

Old 02-18-00, 08:53 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hi! I've got a Tappan range, model/serial number of 30-4988-23/01082-881 32628.

The broiler works ok, but the oven is not
firing up right away. It will sometimes start up then burn unevenly for a while, then turn off again. If I give the gas valve a whack, it will usually start again for a bit.

I've also noticed the "top bake" feature doesn't seem to work, but this may not be related. I don't think we've ever tried to use that. Sometimes, when the oven is in use, the burners won't ignite, but I'm blaming that on some sort of condensation/insulation problem.

Bad gas valve is my guess, but could it be something else? (before I attempt to track down one and replace it). Thermostat? Safety valve??

Thanks for any help!!

Sponsored Links
Old 02-18-00, 09:56 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

A search of the archives gave me a good start- in spite of it mostly working, the glow bar isn't within spec. I'll try a replacement tonight, and save the cost of needlessly replacing my gas valve!! (I hope)

Old 02-18-00, 09:58 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi: Ben

Most likely the glow coil is too weak to reach it's normal temperature <about 4,000 degrees> to open the gas valve and ignite the gas.

The glow coil should glow a very bright yellow orange color. Just a dull orange color means it's worn out. Replacing just this item most likely will fix it.

Your mentioning the tapping of the gas valve helped me here lots. It told me it was a glow coil ignition and that it was in fact working but much too slowly and then turning the burner off again. Excellent explaination on your part. I thank you.

Be advised of several important things here.
The glow coil is an electric item and is not cheap nor returnable. <If you break it, it doesn't work or doesn't fix the problem...you bought anyway.>
They are extremely fragile. <They break easily.>
Unplug the oven FIRST. The glow coil is connected to full house current.
Be absolutely positive you reconnect the new one just as you found the old one installed. <An incorrectly installed coil can cause delayed ignition. This could explored the gas and blow the oven doors completely off.
Most often the gas valve is replaced with the new coil. <Kind of like a matching set.>

Often this is a good idea in the long run and done by many a repair agency. Unless you plan on replacing that item in the very near future and doing the work all over again.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

------------------
Sincerely,
TomBartco
TomBartco Enterprises.
Trade:Natural Gas Energy Consultant & Technician.
Appliance Service & Repairs Rep.
Vocations:Saw & Tool Sharpening. Small Engine Repairs.
Accurate Power Equipment Company.

Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Old 02-22-00, 07:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Smile

Glow coil was it! Everything is peachy now!!
Thanks!!!