Natural Gas supply line for an outdoor grill

Old 07-11-00, 08:44 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I read an earlier message that talks about using copper lines for gas, and that it is illegal inside the house. I have, currently, a piece of soft copper tubing running off of the main steel pipe line in the house. This copper tubing runs through the foundation and out to a grill. I am installing a new grill and the book claims I can use 5/8" K or L copper tubing. I'm confused. Do I need to replace this line or not? Does it have to do with hydrogen sulfide amounts in my gas (something else in the book)? Where can I know for sure what I need to do in New York State to make this legal and safe?

Old 07-12-00, 05:10 AM
Visiting Guest
HI:sonarhack

The use of copper to transport natural gas is illegal indoors because the sulfur <hydrogen sulfide> in natural gas deteriorates the copper from inside the pipe.

There is some grades of copper with internal coatings of tin or a tin like substance designed for use with natural gas. This grade of copper tubing may be legal, in your state, for certain applications and use in certain installations.

The best means for determining which grade and for what application copper is legal in your state, contact the city's building department office.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.
Personal Quote:
"Drive Safely. The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: