Old 07-20-00, 11:09 AM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

Our hot water heater died, so we went out & bought a new one. The next day, as my husband described the slight differences in how the new one vented vs. the old one, his boss said the old one was a "direct vent" WH & we better check to see if the new one was an acceptable replacement or we could burn the bldg down! He said it might require more length of vent pipe to allow gases to cool before going outside, rather than the 2' or so 90* angle right out the wall.

Obviously this worried us, and we decided to check it out. I've been to many websites; we've talked w/contractors doing remodeling in our condo complex (who said "jsut make the housing rigid instead of flexible & it'll be fine"; the county inspector just said "it'll be fine"; & the gas co customer svc lady said "the only reg is that it has to have a 'downdraft diverter, the pipe-like thing at the top that goes outside'" but does she really know?

Anyway, we have a gas co rep coming out to do a safety check, but all of these answers seem very vague compared to our warning that we could burn the place down. We haven't been able to find ventilation regulations or requirements anywhere--does it even exist?

Your help will be genuinely appreciated!
Old 07-20-00, 01:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a


You should not worry. You live in a state that has a gas company that offers in home services.

The gas company service representative will service & inspect the water heater. They will be happy to answer any and all questions and concerns you may have.

Should there be anything not meeting the company standards, local codes or items pertaining to safety concerns, you will be advised.

The rep. may issue you a form <1813> should the appliance not meet one of the above.

Your in good hands. Rest easy.
Kindly repost the results of the service call.


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: