Replaced Oven Igniter Not Glowing Up

Old 12-21-09, 03:00 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Replaced Oven Igniter Not Glowing Up

So I have replaced the igniter on my whirlpool oven with (supposedly) the same part. It looks identical and the place where it was ordered said it should work.

I went through the installation which was very easy, except for a stripped screw. Connect two wires, put it back into position, position the burner tube, reconnect the electricity...and...

nothing. I get no response from the igniter whatsoever (as far as visual or heat). The broiler and gas ranges are working, but no response from the bake light igniter.

The igniter is long, rectangular and ceramic.

I belive it is a Norton 4100 series (the replacement that is). I have no idea what model exactly the old one is, nor exactly what model the oven is (the info inside the oven door is worn off) other than a Self-Cleaning Whirlpool w/digital display.

Is it possible that this is the wrong igniter even though it looks exactly identical, did I install it wrong, or can it be something else with the oven? Please help, I am at a loss and my girlfriend wants to bake for Christmas.

Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-09, 07:17 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello live3arth and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and to the Gas Appliances topic.

Apologies for such a late reply....

Most likely no electrical current to the igniter. To verify this, two methods. Use a volt meter to test for electrical current at the wire ends leading to the igniter.

Safety Precaution Reminder:
There will be fully house electrical current to the entire appliance during the test. And an excellent grounding through the metal appliance cabinet. Electrical shock and or sparking is very possible. Use caution.

If there is no current, follow the two wires into the control panel. Problem likely to be the component which wires will be connected to or the switch to select oven or broiler. May be a touch pad button or similar but still makes a connection.

Another method would be to remove known operational good igniter from broiler and install it in the oven. Another would be to install new igniter in broiler. No glow? Igniter defective.

Not much to try but some minor work mentioned above. All of which is diy testing and process of elimination. May require the expertise of an appliance service tech but the above is some steps a diy handy with tools and willing to try person can due.

Retail parts dealers and appliances parts stores can also help determine what the possible problem(s) may be based upon that specific brand and model. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Dealers and appliances parts stores are listed in the phone book.

Cautionary Reminder Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first.

Additional Advice in sticky note here:
Read The Sticky Advice And Information Note In This Topic:
Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites. Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.