Gas dryer too hot?

Old 08-12-00, 09:23 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I just installed my first gas dryer, a Kenmore Elite. I've noticed that the side of the dryer where the burner is located heats up to around 180 degrees. Since this side is exposed in our house, I am concerned. Is this common with gas dryers, to have this kind of external temperature?

Old 08-13-00, 09:10 AM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Bartman

My assumption here is <since it's not mentioned> this is a new appliance. That being the case, read the owners manual regarding clearances around the appliance.

Be sure the vent is clear and not restricted with kinks or sharp bends. The rear clearance is correct and the lower rear louvered panel is lint free.

If there is a front access panel to the burner compartment, open it. Check the area for lint, clean if needed. Turn on the dryer and observe the burner flames. They should be blue and facing towards the rear of the burner tube they are in.

The temperature you mentioned does seem much too hot. Internal drum temperatures do not even go this high. If this is a new dryer, contact Sears. There may be a problem.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: