Amana Self Cleaning Oven

Old 08-14-00, 12:30 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a 5 year old Amana Gas, Self Cleaning Oven, SN 9504109941, Model AGS781WW. When lite the stove will smell like gas, however other times its seems to operate fine. On occasion it will only reach a temp. of 100-200. I have checked to see that it is lighting when it smells, and it it lite.

Thanks for any assistance.

Old 08-14-00, 08:29 PM
Visiting Guest
Hi:Kyle

Based on the information in your posting, I would venture to say you have two seperate problems. Neither of them affecting the other.

That occassional gas odor can be caused by a restricted crossover port, which does not light both sides of the burner. The ports <Holes> in the burner get restricted or plugged.

The plugged or restricted crossover port is a condition that needs the attention of a service person. Plugged or restricted burner holes can be cleared carefully with a piece of wire.

You mentioned 'on occassion' it often only reaches 100-200 degrees. Some ovens have a 'Keep Warm' cycle setting on the temperature control knob. Some in the delay baking cycle or the Timed Cooking Cycle. Be sure yours is not set at this low setting when this condition happens.

Good Luck,
TomBartco
Natural Gas Energy Technician and Consultant.

Old 08-15-00, 08:52 AM
Visiting Guest
Tom.

Thank you for the reply. I took a look last night and the oven seems to be operating properly. The ingitor lights up and after a minute the entire burner lights (both sides). There does not seem to be a clogged port. Any chance the gas is comming from the broiler which is on the top section of the stove? We never use it. Any chance the stove is lighting, going out, and then turning on again with out igniting?

Old 08-15-00, 07:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Hello Again Kyle:

When the burner is on and both sides are lit, there is the possibility the gas odor is coming from a small leak at the gas inlet tubing nut to the gas valve.

I will clearify more on this. <I hope>
There is an aluminum tube gas feed line to the burner gas valve which is at the base of the burner venturi.

It's that nut that holds the gas supply tube to the gas valve that often leaks some. You can try tightening it a little. Hold the gas valve with one wrench and tighten the nut carefully.

When the oven burner is ON, soap test that fitting and the others for leaks.

The broiler burner should not be causing any gas smell when the oven is on. Each burner has it's own gas supply.

In reply to your last question, it's always possible the burner may not light on another cycle. <Cycle means each time the burner turns on and off.> Visually check this when you smell the odor.

Regards,
Tom

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: