gas oven problem

Old 09-17-00, 09:23 AM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a Magic Chef oven that I know is at least 12 years old. Of late it takes 20 to 30 minutes for the oven to preheat we can smell gas, the pilot is lit but no flame. Is there something that perhaps needs cleaning or a thermostat that needs replacing? Everything seems to be falling apart at once around here so I need to fix this myself if at all possible. Thanks

Old 09-17-00, 08:06 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:Ronda

Sounds a lot like the actuating pilot is restricted. It's the much larger one that only turns on when the oven needs heat.
It most likely needs cleaning.

What troubles me is you mentioning smelling gas. Hopefully it's only the gas from the actuating pilot and only when the oven is on.

It's also a possiblity the gas valve is defective or worn out and also could be a weak fluid saftey element.

I would suggest you contact the local gas supplier and hopefully they offer a free or low cost in home service in your state.

This is not a problem that should be overlooked nor anyone unfamiliar with appliance service attempt to correct.

However, minor cleaning of the pilot assembly instructions, hints & tips can be found in the archives in this forum.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: