Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Household Cleaning, Kitchen Appliance Service and Repairs > >Gas< Kitchen Appliances, Dryers and BBQ's
Reload this Page >

Gas oven pilot works, flame jumps down, gas valve turns on, burner won't light.

Gas oven pilot works, flame jumps down, gas valve turns on, burner won't light.

Old 12-25-09, 12:00 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Gas oven pilot works, flame jumps down, gas valve turns on, burner won't light.

I have a 30 year old Hardwick gas stove. The oven/broiler burner won't light until the broiler door is opened then it lights with a huge bang, flame shoots out, then extinguishes - very dangerous - my wife singed her hair, eyebrows, eyelashes and is now afraid to cook with it and won't unless I manually light the broiler burner. No more baking, only broiling if I light it. Here's the symptoms:
1) Oven pilot is on;
2) Turn Bake/Broiler control to bake temp or broil;
3) Pilot light jumps down;
4) Thermocouple heats;
5) Gas valve turns on;
6) Gas is fed to oven burner (gas hissing sound);
7) No ignition of oven burner;
8) Broiler door is opened;
9) Gas in broiler suddenly ignites with a bang, flame shoots out, wife's hair is singed, flame extinguishes, pilot is blown out (luckily).
10) Wife is on strike from baking, will only broil if I manually light broiler burner.

The pilot flame is blue, no yellow (I cleaned the orifice, etc.), I cleaned the individual holes in the oven burner, but problem persists. This oven has worked reliably for 30 years, there doesn't appear to be any change/difference in the oven pilot or elsewhere from what it looked like over that period. What's the solution, other than a new stove (I haven't seen any new stove, like this Hardwick, which is reasonably priced or I would replace it immediately).

Sponsored Links
Old 12-26-09, 07:03 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Arrow Restricted Ignition

Hello Grim Reaper. Welcome to Gas Appliances topic and our Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

The most common reason is restricted and/or clogged ignition ports. Ignition ports are the tiny holes or slots where the burner gas exits the burner tube, closest to the pilot flame. If they are clogged, blocked and/or restricted, delayed and/or no ignition will result. Exactly what you're experiencing.

An old tooth brush or similar like tool will clear the debris or obstructions. Brush away all fluffy power in the area. In some cases, the entire burner tube has to be removed to complete this burner cleaning task.

Ignition ports, {holes and or a slot} which allow the gas to cross over to the opposite side of the burner are clogged, blocked and or restricted. That burner tube in the oven has this cross-over slot or small holes in it too. May be located on top of burner or nuder it.

The slot expands slightly once warm since the aluminum expands. In doing so, it becomes self restricting. A possible cure is to use a thin hacksaw blade and clear the slot but not enlarge it or replace the burner.

Condition and solution instructions HERE

If you need further assistance, use the REPLY button. By doing so, the additional information you add or questions you may have, will remain within this posting. Using this method also moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically.