Replacing Ignitor on sealed burner gas stove

Old 10-13-00, 12:35 PM
Visiting Guest
I have a Hardwick (Maytag) Gas stove with sealed burner units on top. One isn't lighting correctly. The enamel seems to be cracked on the ignitor. I purchased a new ignitor, but need to know how to lift the top or gain access to the ignitor so I can replace it. It's in the front right burner. How do you get to this ignitor and/or how to remove the top of this stove. My stove Model is CPG 9841 W689DQ. Thank you.

Old 10-13-00, 10:14 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 5 Upvotes on 4 Posts
Hi:Rich Cooper

You should be able to remove the burner assembly by lifting up the burner cap. Down inside the burner rim you should find one to three screws.

Remove the screws and the whole burner assembly will lift out. Then replace the ignitor and attach the wire lead as found on the defective.

Some stoves have a removeable panel at the back for access under the stove top.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 10-22-00, 03:02 PM
Visiting Guest
quote:<HR>Originally posted by Rich Cooper:
I have a Hardwick (Maytag) Gas stove with sealed burner units on top. One isn't lighting correctly. The enamel seems to be cracked on the ignitor. I purchased a new ignitor, but need to know how to lift the top or gain access to the ignitor so I can replace it. It's in the front right burner. How do you get to this ignitor and/or how to remove the top of this stove. My stove Model is CPG 9841 W689DQ. Thank you.<HR>

Old 10-22-00, 03:04 PM
Visiting Guest
Dear Tom,

Thank you so much for your advice. I took a chance and removed the three screws for the burner. Then I did the same for all the burners as well. Once this was done, I was able to lift the top off without affecting the gas connections. At this point, I was able to replace the ignitor on the front burner. Unfortunately, two of the screws, one on the front right and the other on the front left broke off. However, the burners are still held in place by two screws and they seem to be firm so I'm not going to try to drill out the broken off screws. Who will know?

Thanks again for your help. All is working fine.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: