Pilot won't stay on

Old 10-30-00, 01:51 PM
Visiting Guest
I have an old Caloric stove. The pilot light will not stay lit. I replaced the oven thermostat valve that supplys the pilot gas but that did not help. The pilot will light when the valve is on, but goes out as soon as you turn off the oven.

Old 10-30-00, 07:28 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure I know which pilot your referring to here. Older ovens usually have two pilots.

The constant pilot is the one that remains on all the time. It may be supplied gas from the thermostat as you mentioned. If so, chances are good the pilot assembly is plugged up.

Some constant pilots are supplied gas from the manifold and not from the thermostat. If so, same condition may apply.

I suspect yours is supplied from the thermostat and is either undergassed or restricted. There are screws on the thermostat to adjust the pilot flame size.

What I think your seeing is the actuating pilot that comes on when the oven control is turned on and it will go out when the thermostat is turned off.

If the constant pilot goes out, try blowing it clear off lint and dust using canned air like the canned air used to clean computer keyboards. then relite it and see what happens.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: