GFI trips when the oven is running....

Old 12-30-09, 02:31 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question GFI trips when the oven is running....

I have a Kenmore Gas Range Model # 75328.
On Christmas day we turned on the oven to bake some turkey. Shortly thereafter, the GFI outlet tripped where the range is plugged in to. I repeated this several times and each time the oven turned on, ran for about 3 minutes and then tripped the breaker which shut it off. I decided to run an extension cord to another non-GFI outlet and things worked fine.
Later I tried to put the oven into Broil mode. When I positioned the dial to "Broil", the light next to "Clean" turns on. If I position the dial to "Clean" the clean light also turns on.
Any ideas where I might start looking to diagnose this?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-09, 07:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Tmaxx. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

No appliance such as this is suppose to be connected to nor plugged into a GFI. GFI used for small appliances that will be operated near water to prevent electrical shock or electrocution and/or death from it.

As you discovered, entire appliance works fine when not connected or plugged into the GFI. That's how it should remain and was intended to be operated.

Remove GFI (which likely was just installed or problem would have been noticed well before holiday) or connect appliance to non GFI wall outlet or use a three prong extension cord and problem will be solved...

Beer 4U2

Old 12-31-09, 11:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Sharp is right, the oven shouldnt be on a GFI.

Did these problems you had with the clean light happen when it wasnt plugged into the GFI? There could be a problem with the oven and thats why the GFI tripped.

Old 12-31-09, 11:38 AM
Received 13 Votes on 11 Posts
All counter top receptacles should be GFCI protected. You may need to run a new circuit if you are plugging into a counter top receptacle but the fact the GFCI trips may be caused by a wiring fault in the stove that requires repair, If this just started and has worked OK that is a good indication your stove may have a serious safety problem that needs to be corrected.

You might want to post at: Electrical - A/C & D/C - DoItYourself.com Community Forums