Maytag gas dryer usually does not heat

Old 11-04-00, 04:53 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello Tom, I've read all the threads on gas dryer heat problems and mine isn't exactly described. I think it needs a new gas valve, but wanted to see what you think:
23-year old (!) Maytag 408. Glow coil lights every time on either of the heat cycles and second solenoid clicks, but gas lights only some of the time.
Exhaust hood, vent (all the way into the dryer) and lint trap are clean.
Please advise. Thanks!

Old 11-04-00, 06:31 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:Not_Mechanically_Inclined

I sat here dwelling my reply over before posting. I think your correct about the gas valve. If both solenoids are functioning and the glow coils is lighting, it may well be <after 23 years> a defective gas valve.

The real question is, considering the dryers current age, is the cost of the new gas valve worth the purchase price and labor time to install, running the risk if it doesn't solve the problem?

I would suggest you consider this before attempting a repair. It just may not work.

Best bet, based on the age of the current machine, is to purchase a new dryer. In my personal opinion, you got more then your monies worth from the current dryer and I don't suggest you invest the cost of a new gas valve into it, if at all possible.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Old 11-20-00, 01:55 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Thanks, Tom, for your well-considered, prompt reply. Since replacing the gas valve might not work, we made the easy decision and bought a new dryer this past Saturday.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: