we have a Kenmore gas stove, and its making a whining/humming noise

Old 01-11-10, 02:55 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
we have a Kenmore gas stove, and its making a whining/humming noise

when the burners are on. It varies in pitch and volume when you turn the dials. We moved to our current house 4 months ago, I remodeled the kitchen, and when I hooked this stove up that's when the noise started. It's only 13 months old(just past the warranty- of course!), and I have replaced the supply valve and supply line. There are no leaks, I checked all connections with leak detector. I hate to pay $130 for a service call if its something I could fix myself, but I don't know what to do at this point. Any ideas?

Old 01-12-10, 06:05 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello cptnick. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Based upon the problem description, the most likely cause is air and fuel ratios. Either to much air or to much fuel into the top burners. Which will create a hum, whistle or whining sound. Generically referred to as "noise."

Burner air ratio to fuel can be adjusted by slightly closing the air shutters on the burner tubes. One at a time close each shutter slightly and test. Flame must remain all blue. Listen to the burner while doing this adjustment. Noise should stop when properly adjusted.

Once one burner adjusted and no noise heard, move on to next burner. Reminder. Adjust air shutter only slightly and be sure to re-tighten the tiny screw that secures shutter in place on the burner tube.

Additional Advice and Information Here:
Read the Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Informational Sticky Note, in this forums topic, for more detailed information.

Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Advice & Information HERE: Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: