Switching to Nat Gas Cooktop

Old 01-15-10, 02:21 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Switching to Nat Gas Cooktop

I am considering switching from an electric cooktop to a nat gas cooktop in a complete kitchen update that I plan to make in near future. Today, I met with a contractor who suggested their was a minimum height recommended for good ventilation from the cooktop to the overhead undercabinet vented hood. I would appreciate any opinions on this subject.

Thanks for reading and all replies.

Old 01-16-10, 07:23 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello TigerDunes and Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

I would suggest adhering to the contractors advice. Very likely it would be correct and meet local codes.

There is and will be an extreme amount of heat generated when all the burners are on. And even more so with one burner on then there is using electric.

Therefore, the clearance height between top of gas burners and bottom of any cabinets above range top or exhaust hood must be sufficient to allow proper air flow for cooling and or exhausting.

Local codes dictate the vertical clearance distance. For safety and proper operation, it is best to adhere to the codes. Distance also takes into consideration exhaust hood may not always be used with only one or two burners in operation or hood not always used at all....

Beer 4U2

Old 01-16-10, 09:47 PM
F
The other thing you have to keep in your mind with gaz stoves you must use direct venting hood not the recurication { with charcoal filter etc } due most of state codes allready cover this topic so just make sure you are aware with this situation.

Due the gaz stove do make carbon moxide so it need to be exhausted outside the electric stove can go either way.

Merci,Marc

Old 01-17-10, 07:51 AM
T
Thank you for the replies. I will call building codes dept tomorrow and see what they say. I have to admit though that I doubt codes are really strictly enforced in my location and especially on remodels probably ignored if it affects pricing. The idea about carbon monoxide was interesting as I have not even thought about that.

One of my children just completed a major remodel at their home including gutting kitchen. He installed a gas cooktop with overhead microwave/venting hood. And I am sure that hood is recirculating. Of course, that kitchen is mostly for looks as most eating at home comes from take-outs/deliveries.

TD

Old 01-17-10, 08:35 AM
B
Received 37 Votes on 34 Posts
As long as the gas burns clean there will no to minimal CO, but since you can't tell when it decides to burn poorly, a CO meter/alarm is a must. Plus, since you have gas and probably heat with it, have the service company test your stove each year to confirm your alarm is doing it's job.

Many will say we have been using gas for decades with no problems. Correct, but now we are trying to reduce energy costs by sealing up our homes and no longer have that huge rate of air exchange we used to have. Advice above is good,

Bud

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: