1970's Kenmore 36in Propane Stove smells of gas

Old 01-20-10, 08:07 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
1970's Kenmore 36in Propane Stove smells of gas

Hello
I have just moved into a home with an older model Kenmore gas oven. I have never owned a stove fired with propane before so I am unsure what is "normal". When the stove is lit both cooktop and oven I can smell the propane, it is even worse when it is set to preheat or broil. Is it normal to smell propane? Also I would like to clean the side and behind the stove but I am scared to pull the stove away from the wall in fear of breaking a gas line. Is there anyone out there experienced with propane fired stoves?
Thanks

Old 01-21-10, 06:04 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello julespa and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

When the oven burner is on, no smell of propane should be noticed by a smell of any kind. Any such odor could be caused by any number of possible causes.

Some but certainly not all possible causes for the odor.
Excessively large flames. (Over-gassed)
Lack of air flow in burner compartment.
Or lack of air flow inside the ovens baking compartment.
A tiny leak at a connection in or at a tube which supplies gas only when the oven is on.
Leaky gas valve on a side only when gas is flowing through it.

Very difficult if not totally impossible to diagnose where a leak is here in a text only format. Suggestion. Contact the gas supplier or any local qualified service tech for service such as leaks. About the only positive method to resolve the cause of the leak or smell and to insure safety and peace of mind.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Regards and Good Luck. Web Site Host, Moderator Hiring Agent, Gas Appliances Topic Moderator, Multiple Forums Moderator & Natural Gas Appliance Diagnostics Technician.

Personal Driving Safety Reminder: Buckle Up & Drive Safely.
"The Life You Save, May Be Your Own."

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: