I need advice for cleaning outdoor smoker.

Old 03-05-10, 12:54 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I need advice for cleaning outdoor smoker.

I've been asked by an acquaintance to clean 3 outdoor grills/smokers. Two of them are about 7 feet long, one is about 5 feet long. All three are about 3 1/2 feet diameter. He needs the exteriors cleaned, primed, & repainted. Trouble is, I've never done this before. So far my main questions are:
1) How do I clean off the old paint? Sandblast, solvents, or wire brush?
2) WHat type of paint do I use, and what are the heat thresholds for the paint?
3) How long should this take?
4) How much will the materials cost me?

Old 03-06-10, 05:53 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Chuck. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

I would not suggest sand blasting the BBQ's. Doing so will most likely due more surface damage then you would or may want. Wire brush, steel wood and/or a fine grit wet sand paper should work best. A lot depends upon the present surface condition.

It will take a lot more physical work using the hand surfacing prep method but the surface prior to applying any paint will look better when completed.

Special high temperature paint will be required. Available at BBQ retail stores or at some local hardware stores, etc.

Surface prepping before applying any paint is a critical aspect to the final results. And there isn't any assurance the final results will remain looking as good as new either.... All depends upon the present surface, surface prepping and attention to paint applications, etc.

Use the reply button to add additional information or questions. Using the reply button keeps or moves the topic back up to the top of the list automatically and keeps all communications on this subject in this thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: