New gas range, burners light but not oven/broiler

Old 03-07-10, 03:53 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
New gas range, burners light but not oven/broiler

Just installed brand new gas Kenmore range to replace my old Kenmore gas range, I have propane. The burners all light but when I try the oven, it glows but doesn't light the rod and neither for the broiler. Wondering if there is different gas pressure required for certain stoves and maybe not enough to light the oven? Should I call Sears or my propane provider?
Thanks!

Old 03-07-10, 04:56 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 966 Votes on 887 Posts
I would call Sears or whoever provides the waranty repairs. I'm not familiar with that particular oven but that happens to my Maytag every 5-6 years.

The most common problem is a bad ignitor. The ignitor is a piece of metal next to the burner that will heat up and should glow very bright orange or yellow (really hot). If the ignitor does not work properly the computer will not tell the gas to turn on for the burner. It is also possible that there could be a bad gas valve or bad controller board (computer), but my bet is on the ignitor and should be covered under waranty.

Old 03-07-10, 05:45 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Lyons117. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

Hot Surface Igniter (HSI) may be the primary cause but that type of problem with a "NEW" appliance is rare. HSI's are factory pre-tested to eliminated failures but may have been damaged in packaging and or shipping. May also be the gas control valve, etc.

Suggestions:
Read the owners manual first. Back of owners manual will cover causes and provide possible solutions. Appliance may have been shipped with some kind of safety control, etc...???

Call Sears second. Appliance is under/covered by the warranty. Have Sears service it. Any attempts you make may void the entire warranty.

Since top burners work, gas is being supplied to the appliance. Highly doubt, but possible, propane supplier would be able to offer any suggestions, services, etc.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: