Gas line sizing.

Old 03-18-10, 06:36 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Gas line sizing.

I also posted this in the plumbing forum but haven't gotten an answer and then I found this forum....

HELP, I am adding a grill to my natural gas system and want to make sure i've done the sizing correctly.... I am using Black pipe.

Would someone mind looking at my diagram and seeing if it works and that I've used the correct size pipe?

I won't be using the dryer and the grill at the same time...

If the links don't work let me know and i'll try to figure out how to add it another way..

THANKS!!!!

Scott

Last edited by spetrola; 03-18-10 at 08:12 AM. Reason: added picture
Old 03-25-10, 06:13 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Scott

Excuse me for the late reply.....

Been away fishing.................

Based on what you already had to work with, existing gas line pipes size, best you could have done. However, to clarify that statement, the existing stove gas line is undersized for the BTU rating of the appliance.

Since that stove gas-line was already existing in the house piping, nothing you could have done would change that. No choice but to work with it.

Based upon that, the BTU draw for the existing stove is to high for the length of the gas line run, footage wise. Pipe to the stove should be one inch in diameter. Since it isn't, you had no choice but to tap into it for the 60,000 Btu grill.

Total potential Btu draw for both stove and grill exceeds the pipes diameter size at the 3/4 inch junction point. Where the 1/2 pipe meets the 3/4 inch pipe. Existing 1/2 pipe already to small for stove. Now worse with grill tapped into it.

Summation:
What you already have will work but not as well as it should. You may not even notice any limitations as a result of the gas flow restriction. Unless the maximum Btu draw is required.

Time to fire-up the Grill/BBQ, grad a tall cool one....Beer 4U2 and begin the food cooking. Let me know when dinner time is. I'll Be right over...LOL!.......

Old 03-26-10, 12:21 PM
S
Hope you did good fishing....

I am confused http://images.ibsrv.net/ibsrv/res/sr...ilies/wall.gif you said that the pipe to the stove is undersized. The run is shorter than to the grill and the BTU's are lower, why would the pipe be to small for the stove but ok for the grill?

Not being argumentative just confused.

Thanks,

Scott

Old 03-27-10, 06:21 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello: Scott

Pipe sizes to both stove and/or grill are undersized. The existing 1/2 inch pipe to the existing stove was undersized when initially installed by the home builders plumber.

The footage total of 23 feet of pipe to the already installed stove with 1/2 diameter pipe is undersized. To small a diameter for the distance run and the Btu's of the appliance.

That is the pipe that is existing that I am referring to and the only pipe you had nearby to tap into. Just because it was there already installed, does not mean nor imply it is sized correctly for the potential load demand. Undersized to begin with. Should be not less then 1 inch entire distance to it's ending point at the wall.

Same applies to the grill. If the existing gas line where 1 inch the entire run then you would have installed one inch to the grill. Which would then be okay for the BTU of the grill and the stove. Average draw of both appliances would then not exceed the total potential demand of neither appliance.

Summation: You did the best you could with what you had to work with. You're not likely to even notice any problems if and when the BTU demand exceeds the available supply. Except maybe slightly reduced flame size which leads to a slightly longer cooking time.

Old 03-27-10, 05:24 PM
D
your grill run at 16 ft is just about maxed for your BTU...I am running a grill at 6 ft 40K btu..That is fine..

I am also runnning a tri-fuel generator 100K at 10 ft on 1/2 inch and that is maxed out from the main line..

There are charts online for this...

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: