Unhooking gas stove

Old 06-07-10, 10:33 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cool Unhooking gas stove

I am having new vinyl installed in my kitchen day after tomorrow. I have to have the gas stove unhooked and I have to hook it back up myself. It seems like I should be able to do that myself? Do you think I can? Can I use all the same parts when I hook it back up? Can I just turn the gas off at the stove for this? Just for a point of reference, I have replaced light fixtures and ceiling fans myself, and I removed the bar and counter top from the kitchen myself. I am somewhat handy...for a girl

So what do I need to know?

Old 06-08-10, 05:18 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts

Hello lizmcfarland. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

If there is a gas shut off valve behind the stove, turn it off first. Valve may have a small handle on it. If so, turn it quarter turn across the valve. Then check it to be sure gas is in fact turned off by attempting to light a top burner.

If the valve does not have a lever or handle, it will have a raised slot where an adjustable crescent wrench will fit on. Turn that so it is across the valve.

Safety Reminder:
Check a top burner for gas flow. None should come out. Doing the checking helps to ensure gas is turned off before removing the connector and/or gas tubing to the appliance......

Once the gas is turned OFF, use the adjustable wrench to remove the flex connector from the shutoff valve. You may need two wenches. One to remove the flex connector and one to hold the shut off valve from also turning. (Back up wrench)

To re-install, reverse the process and test for any possible gas leak(s) at the HEX nut you removed from the shut off valve. Very important to test for any potential leaks.

More info HERE

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: