Stove pilot light won't stay lit

Old 12-01-00, 08:50 AM
Visiting Guest
Unhappy

Hi!

The stove in my rental property is an old Premier 4-burner gas stove. The pilot light for the oven keeps going out and you have to reach in through the broiler to turn it back on with a match. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to keep it on? I've looked for some kind of knob or screw to turn the pilot light flame up, but I can't seem to find it. Help!

Colette

Old 12-01-00, 10:34 AM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:Crussen

If you do not have to hold down a reset button to light the pilot, it may not either be adjustable or need to be adjusted. It just may need to be cleaned.

If it appears to have any yellow in the flame, it will need to be cleared. Blow some air up the pilot hole and around the assembly. Hopefully, you'll clear any dust and notice a better looking <blue> pilot flame.

There will be a pilot flame adjustment screw located under the oven thermostat temperature knob. Depending on the brand of the thermostat, that set screw should be located to the left of the stem.

Be aware, that if there is only one set screw, it isn't the pilot adjusting screw. Turning the set screw near the stem on this type of thermostat will adversely alter the burners flame.

The best suggestion I could offer you is to contact the local gas utility and request a service call, if they provide this service in your area.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: