Whirlpool gas range ignition reliability

Old 07-04-10, 01:42 PM
I
Upvotes: 0
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Whirlpool gas range ignition reliability

Hello,

We are looking to buy a new gas range. We currently have a 9 year old Whirlpool model SF379LEKQ range that we are replacing because the oven does not always turn on (the ignitor will just click but not ignite). I've replaced the ignitor twice. The first time it fixed the problem for about 1.5 years, the second time has only worked a few months and now the problem is back. When I researched the problem a few years ago, I found this was more of a design flaw than simply a bad ignitor on my range.

So with lots of sales for the 4th of July weekend, we are ready to pull the trigger on a new one. We found another Whirlpool model GFG461LVS that has the convection oven that we'd like. BUT we are a little leary of buying another Whirlpool for fear of the ignitor problem happening again.

Does Whirlpool still have any ongoing ignitor issues? And overall how good are Whirlpool gas ranges these days?

We had looked at GE, but to get convection with them, you need to spend about $200-300 more since their basic convection comes with a warming drawer that we wouldn't use.

Thanks for the help.

Mark

Old 07-05-10, 03:35 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello Mark. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic.

If you're going to buy a new appliance on the holiday fourth of July weekend, little late to post the question.......and a bit late for anyone to post a reply in time....

However, doubt you'll find any of the newer appliances using a older style pilot spark ignition. The HSI (Hot Surface Igniter) glow bar is the newer and most commonly used type of ignition system. They work better, last longer and provide many more years of problem free service.

Good Luck with the new purchase.....

Old 07-05-10, 05:35 AM
I
Received 4 Upvotes on 3 Posts
Yeah I know it was a little late to post, but this all came about fast with deciding to buy with the holiday sale. I hoped the ignitor technology was improved since my current stove was designed. I'd have no qualms about getting a new Whirlpool this time if it wasn't for the ignitor problem with our old one. Glad to hear about the new ignitor tech. Thanks for the reply.

Mark

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: