Kenmore Dryer 80 Series Not Drying. (Post Moved Into Gas Appliances)

Old 07-11-10, 07:11 PM
N
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kenmore Dryer 80 Series Not Drying. (Post Moved Into Gas Appliances)

Hi, I have a Kenmore Dryer 80 Series Model 11072812101. All of a sudden it stopped drying. There is not enough heat generated to dry the clothes so you have to do multiple cycles and the clothes remains damp.

I took the back part of and cleaned out the ducts inside the dryer and the one going to the outside of the house. While I had the back opened I noticed that after 20 to 30 seconds the flame will come on and then you could feel the heat inside the dryer. I attributed this to the cleaning I gave making sure there were no obstructions. I closed the back feeling very proud of myself only to find that it is back to lukewarm at best. At this point I have to ask for help since it doesn't make sense to me that by just closing the back it stops the heat. Is there a sensor that is causing this? Is there anything else I need to clean? Is there a particular part that I need to replace? Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-12-10, 04:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 77 Upvotes on 70 Posts
let me get this right. dryer heats 20 to 30 seconds and than quits heating? Usually needs coils on top of gas valve.

Old 07-12-10, 06:58 AM
N
Hi, thanks for replying. The dryer heated up when I had the backcover off. I could see the flame come up after 20 seconds or so of running the dryer. Then, it will stay on and you could feel the heat inside the dryer. Since I had cleaned the dryer I thought that this was the problem so I closed the dryer, put the air duct back on and was happy. Then, when I tried to run the dryer I was back to where I started...no heat. It was late yesterday and I had to stop there. I can go back tonight and try to remove the backcover, see if the flame comes up and let it run for a long time to see what happens but if you have any other suggestion that I can try it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks again.

Old 07-12-10, 06:11 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Feel the air coming out of duct at back of dryer, reconnect duct and than feel air at outside of house, should be about the same. If dryer heats than most dryer problems are with the vent.

Old 07-12-10, 08:45 PM
N
Hi, I got home late and saw your post. The air coming out of the house is about the same as the air coming out of the dryer. I cleaned again the duct going outside the house to make sure there was nothing hidden in there. I also left the dryer running without the duct to the outside. The air was consistent but just a bit warm. I then opened the back cover again and this time I think I saw what the problem is. Yesterday, I saw the flame and figured that the problem was somewhere else. Today, I see that the flame dies after less than a minute. I tried several times and the same thing happened. I left it running for awhile and the flame never returned. The flame did appear every time I started the dryer. So, his is where I'm at. Again, thank you for your suggestions.

Old 07-13-10, 04:45 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
replace the coils on top of gas valve. 99.9 % of time is your problem

Old 07-13-10, 07:13 AM
N
Thanks. I will order them. I do have one more question. I went to the sears part and found that each individual coil is $35 and $39 respectively.

http://beta.searspartsdirect.com/par...od=11072812101

I did some research to see if I could buy them cheaper and found that there is a kit that costs $20.

Part 3479 from RepairClinic.com

In Sears the price for this kit is $21

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...erId=110&mv=rr

Then I found in Sears another coil kit that is $44

http://www.searspartsdirect.com/part...erId=464&mv=rr

My question is which one should I order?

Thanks again for your help.

Old 07-13-10, 03:45 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Buy the sears kit. better warranty for 21 dollars.

Old 07-14-10, 07:30 AM
N
Pugsl,

Thank you so much for your help. I ordered the kit. Now, I have an idea of what I need to do to replace the coils but if you know of a video link or instructions link that will be very helpful.

Thanks to you I can impress my wife. I'll come back once I have the coils install.

Best wishes,

Nelson

Old 07-16-10, 07:57 AM
N
How to replace coils on a Kenmore Dryer 80 Series

First of all, thanks pugsl for all your help. It was the coils. I did managed to replace the coils by doing a little research. I found a great video which explains the process which really doesn't take too long.

The link below will show you everything you need to do to replace the coils. In addition, the Repair Clinic channel in YouTube is a great source to help you in your repair issues with washers and dryers.

YouTube - RepairClinic's Channel

Best of luck to all of you.

Last edited by nelgom; 07-16-10 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-17-10, 05:14 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for the video. It is a good one.

Old 02-23-14, 11:30 PM
M
Thank you so much I had same issue. Your advice saved me hundreds of dollars
It was the coils

Search this Thread

Ask a Question