Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Gas Dryer Fails to Ignite

Hi all... A little help please?

Gas will not ignite.

Whirlpool Natural Gas Clothes Dryer.
M/N LGR4634JQ2
S/N MM4338149
Type B433-NAT-1206006-FM22

Was working fine on one load of clothes and then never heated up next load and timer never advanced to shut down. (Was using an Automatic Dry cycle.)

Plugged In and Running/Not Running:
Automatic Dry cycle -- timer will not advance
Timed Dry cycle -- timer will advance

Burner Unit Checks:
Flame Sensor - continuity
Ignitor - continuity
Valve No. 2:
Blue wire vs. White wire (Main) - Momentary audible continuity
Valve No. 1:
Black wire vs. Blue wire (Hold) - Momentary audible continuity
Black wire vs. White wire (Assist) - Momentary audible continuity
Blue wire vs. White wire - No continuity (this looks to be correct)

Burner Stack to Drum:
Sensors connected in series, individually checked.
Upper - has continuity
Lower - has continuity

Exhaust/Vent Stack:
Thermal Fuse - room temp - No continuity (Blue lead appears to go to gas valve and flame sensor.

I'm not sure what or how to test the other sensor in exhaust stream. It has two sets of leads in and out of it.

Any comments on what to do next or what is 99% certain to be defective would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx in advance,
Cary

Old 07-22-10, 09:01 PM
C
I removed the leads from the thermal fuse and jumpered them together. Plugged the dryer into the outlet and did a quick "on" test. The ignitor bar glowed up quickly, but no flame.

I would hate to replace the fuse and put all back together only to find another defective part after the fact. It's 40 miles one way to the only parts place.

Hopefully Sharp Advice will chime-in with a considered idea.

Thanx all,
Cary

Old 07-23-10, 03:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 76 Votes on 69 Posts
Replace thermo fuse if open (no continuity ) ignitor will glow for 10 to 15 seconds before flame will start. Can Temporary jump fuse if you want to check. After replacing fuse clean vent to outside, Fuse blows from overheat and overheat comes from clogged vent.

Old 07-23-10, 05:55 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello Cary and Welcome into the Gas Appliances topic.

Thus far you have gotten the best possible advice for the condition described.... Follow the advice and do the work suggested.

Additional suggestions: (IMO) would be to prepare to replace the two solenoids on top of the gas valve. HSI (glow bar igniter) will glow regardless of the possibility of a defective solenoid.

However, the HSI will turn off after a brief time spam if one of the solenoids is defective and/or either does not open to allow gas to flow.

IMO, if you have to replace the solenoids, might as well also replace the HSI, since the entire gas control valve has to come out to install the solenoids.

An HSI that lasts two/three or so years has provided about all the service life it was designed to provide. Replacement at any time of service ensures dryer will work after first attempt to repair another problem cause.......

Also replace any plastic flex ducting while cleaning out the entire exhausting system and ensure flapper door on exhaust hood is fully opening and closing.....

Dryer help sticky note here: >Dryer Information + *Fuel Conversion*< >Info Contained Here< - DoItYourself.com Community Forums

Old 07-23-10, 07:37 AM
C
Thumbs up All Systems Go

A great big Thank You to Pugsl & Sharp Advice

Flame came on, just had to wait long enough. My earlier "Quick ON" test was too quick. That's the biggest problem... Not knowing how it all comes together because we only pay attention when "it's" broken. I had read Sharp's sticky before posting... each additional read increases my understanding.

In my case, I plan only to replace the thermo fuse. The exhaust stack was free flowing beforehand. Unit has got to be 10+ years old. I've had it for 7 yrs. and everything is living on borrowed time. I think it would be better to plan on replacing the washer/dryer set, but I could be wrong about that.

Cheers Beer 4U2
CaryMan

Old 07-23-10, 04:05 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Should not need to replace washer, dryer not to old. Can't say it enough times to clean vent, 99% of all dryer problems start there. A clean vent will save you money

Old 07-29-10, 04:24 PM
C
Lightbulb Final Update

Listen to Pugsl people...

Originally Posted by pugsl View Post
... Can't say it enough times to clean vent, 99% of all dryer problems start there. A clean vent will save you money
Finally got thermal fuse via mail order today. Got it installed and tested. Before putting back panel on, decided to heed Pugsl's advice. Glad I did. Could not believe the gunk in the exhaust stack of the dryer. Also read the Service Info label pasted to it:

Electric and Gas models
If blower housing thermal fuse is open.
A. change thermal fuse and operating thermostat
B. check for other causes of failure
C. electric models: also check for shorted heating element

I only replaced the thermal fuse and had wondered about possible causes all along. Wish I had read the above label sooner. Keeping my fingers crossed that cleaning the blower housing and exhaust stack was the charm.

Thanx again all,
CaryMan

Old 07-30-10, 03:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Thanks for kind words, I some times feel like a broken record about dryer vents but from experience know most dryer problems start there.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: