oven comes on but small flame

Old 12-06-00, 12:49 PM
Visiting Guest
I replaced the gas valve on my tappen range, but when the ignitor came on and the gas ignited the flame was real small and never got any bigger when I turned the thermostat all the way up. what is the problem now.

Old 12-06-00, 03:10 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:hatdaddy

Assuming your referring to the oven burner gas valve, you'll have to adjust the orifice. Not as easy as it sounds. Best method to do it, is while the oven is ON.

Turn the oven on, when the burner lites, reach into the broiler burner compartment and turn up the brass orifice on the gas valve. <Counter-clockwise is up> Continue turning it until the burner flames are no more than 1 1/2 inches from the edge of the flame spreader.

Caution: DO NOT make the burner flames any larger then that. Doing so will cause major problems!

Adjusting the burner flames while the oven is on. Sounds easy? Not so, because you'll have to be careful not to burn your arm or the hair on it!
Do this adjusting a little at a time, reaching in quickly, turning the orifice one quick turn, then pull arm out until arm cools...Yeah, it's HOT in there.

You can lessen the heat in the brolier compartment by leaving open the oven door or avoid this method totally, by giving the orifice a few turns, then turn the oven back on. Repeat proceedure until burner flames are adjusted correctly.

FYI: Turning the thermostat up does not increase the burner flame. The thermostat only controls the temperature, not the flame size.

Good Luck,
TomBartco

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: