Furnace installed, install Central Air

Old 12-10-00, 11:39 AM
Visiting Guest
This message is for Tom Bartco...I am negotiating the sales price of a home I am interested in. I does not have Central Air, and would need a new furnace to have it installed. I was quoted a $4,000 price from the realtor, but heard something considerably lower from another source. My brother could probably do a lot of the labor, removing old unit...etc. The home is 50 years old, 2 story, single family unit, and about 1325 sq. ft. Could you whip off some estimate? Additionally, I have severe allergies and would like to have some air cleaner/filter/non allergenic type thing installed at the same time. I greatly appreciate your help! You can email me at k_gilboy@hotmail.com

Old 12-10-00, 04:00 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hiitzychik

Many factors to consider prior to installing a new heating and A/C unit in a home of this age. In most areas of this country, permits must be pulled.

An upgrade of the existing outside electrical panel and installation of a 220 volt electric supply line may be needed.

Then there is the locations for both the heater and the compressor. Most require a cement pad located by code.
Location of the furnace is another factor. Difficulty of installation is another factor.

Removal of the existing furnace and any asbestos is a huge factor that will add hundreds to any installation job.

As you can begin to imagine, cost is a factor that can be based differently on each installation. However, you mentioned a quote based on a realtor? I assume than, this estimate of cost is based on both the you and the seller sharing costs?

Either way, sharing costs or you paying the full cost, I suggest you get several bids from several dealers on several brands prior to making a purchase.

Keep in mind, price is only one factor. Warranty and after sale parts and service is another factor to consider.

Getting several estimates will offer you a choice and options to select from for your special needs.

One more personal thought about realtors. Who's realtor is this? Yours or the sellers? Something to ponder but remember, your the one who will be living in the house, not the realtor, regardless of whom he/she works for.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: