Gas Cooktop -- One burner won't light

Old 12-11-00, 03:46 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I have a Thermador SFCS365RS gas cooktop. I've been using it without problems for 1.5 years. But just yesterday, one of the burners stopped lighting. The igniter sparks repeatedly, but it appears no gas is coming through that burner (I've tried to light it with a match and it won't work, and I don't hear that hissing sound you hear when the gas is flowing, and I don't smell any gas). All of the other burners on the cooktop work fine. Any ideas why gas would be restricted in one burner and how I can fix it? Thanks for your help!

Old 12-11-00, 05:54 PM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hi:tonyn

What needs to be know here is if this one burner differs from the other three. Some have a timer or a special valve that requires it be set to manual or ???

If it is exactly the same as the other three, and not gas comes out, then the orifice may be restricted or plugged. You'll then have to access below the stove top, remove the burner from the brass orifice and stick a pin into the orifice hole to clear it.

CAUTION:
DO NOT turn the gas valve ON when the burner isn't installed on the orifice.

Once you clear the orifice, reinstall the burner then try it. All should work well once the restriction is removed.

Not often this happens nor have I encountered it in the field working. Usually, the ignition ports going up the side of the burner get restricted from a boil over. Rare that this could happen to the orifice. But worth checking.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: