Hotpoint gas dryer - no heat

Old 12-13-00, 08:01 AM
ofern
Visiting Guest
Question

Hello Tom. I have an old Hotpoint gas dryer model DLL2550PELWH that I inherited along with the house I purchased. It worked fine for about two months, but then for some reason it stopped heating(It blows out only cold air). Can you help me with an advice what to do? I haven't found a question about hotpoint old gas dryers in the other threads.
Thanks.

Old 12-13-00, 02:35 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Lightbulb

Hifern

I would venture to say the dryer has a pilot light.
You can verify this by opening the burner compartment access door. Although you may not see the pilot light because it won't be on, you could at least tell if it is a pilot system or a glow coil.

When you open that door, there may be a RED lever located directly in front of the gas valve. If so, it has a constant burning pilot lite.

The most likely problem would be a burned out fluid safety element. I would NOT suggest you attempt a repair on this type of system. However, if you remove the whole burner assembly, take it to the local appliance parts store, they can install that safety element for you. It's worth the price.

You can attempt to relite the pilot by pulling on the lever and holding it back while lighting the tiny pilot. Once the pilot is on, continue to hold that lever back for at least 60 seconds before slowly releasing it.

If your dryer has a glow bar, turn the dryer on with that access door open. If the bar fails to light, it may need to be replaced.

Old 12-27-00, 08:02 AM
ofern
Visiting Guest
Unhappy replaced glow coil

Hi Tom. Thanks for your reply. After I replaced the glow coil and turned the dryer on, it made a little explosion and stopped working (the GFI has jumped). When I opened the accessory door, I have seen that the glow coil was broken. without the glow coil, the dryer works fine. Do you have any idea of what causes the problem and how to fix it?
Thanks. Ofer.

Old 12-27-00, 06:04 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hifern

At least, I now know your dryer has a glow coil ignition, at this point.

You said the glow coil WAS found broken AFTER you installed the new one??? Or do you mean you found the orginal one broken and replaced it with a new one???

Then the new coil you found broken when you turned the dryer on??? Turning on the dryer shorted out something or caused an explosion and tripped the GFI??? Are you sure you installed everything back the way you found it?

Turning on the dryer and tripping a GFI only when the gas valve gets energized a few seconds later, with only a broken glow coil, is something I haven't encounter, if I understand your posting correctly. Has to be some other problem.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: