maytag oven not lighting correctly??

Old 10-10-10, 06:10 PM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
maytag oven not lighting correctly??

we have a maytag crg9700cam when lighting the oven it will take 2-3 minutes before it lights if at all. it has blowed the door open twice. now if we use it at all we light it by hand. the glow plug appears to be working any advice or should we just replace the whole stove? thank you for your time mike c

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-10, 07:59 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello mcarter and Welcome to the Do It Yourself Web Site and the Gas Appliances topic.

Based upon the problem description, problem is very common when the glow igniter (HSI) is weak. Replacing that will correct the problem.

An HSI service life is about 2-4 years based upon normal usage. Easy to replace for anyone whom is reasonably handy and careful handling delicate electric parts.

Step by step instructions can be found in the sticky note HERE: STOVES-RANGES-OVENS-BROILERS
Help Link: Range-Stove-Oven-Broiler Basic Help Information & Manufacturers Web Sites:Range/Stove/Oven/Broiler Info, Leak Detection, Fault Codes, Fuel Conversion & Links - DoItYourself.com Community Forums.

A hot glowing surface igniter, working correctly, will glow an intense bright yellow orange in color. Any reddish color or a dull orange color indicates the glow coil is weak.

If the igniter isn't glowing at all, the part must be replaced. Position the new hot surface igniter exactly as you find the existing one attached. Double check all electrical connections before turning the power back on or plugging in the appliance.

If it is required to remove the burner, be sure it too gets installed exactly as you find it now. The end of the burner tube with the air shutter adjustment must be installed back onto the gas valves bronze or brass orifice. The other end of the burner tube must be secured as it currently is.

Glowing hot surface igniter's are fragile & break easily. Handle and install the new igniter carefully. Glowing hot surface igniter's are a non returnable and non refundable electric component. Be sure the electrical power to the appliance is turned off, before attempting any repairs.

Most replacement igniter's come already equipped with the quick disconnect reinstalled on the wire end of the new igniter. If not, you will have to clip off the end from the old igniter and install it on the new igniter's wires. Polarity is not important in this case.

Try this first and note the results. If it resolves the problem, post back the results. If the new igniter does not correct the problem, than the only other option may be to replace the gas valve.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be. Bring the make, model and serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Parts dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

If you need further assistance, use the reply button. Reading the previously posted questions on oven topics will also provide help and additional information, etc.

Old 06-07-11, 06:06 PM
T
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Maytag MGR5770ADB

I have a Maytag MGR5770ADB gas range. Everything works except the bottom (bake) burner. The pilot warms up and glows red but it does not ignite the burner and I cannot smell gas so I assume it is being stopped somewhere. In your post above you mention the coil should glow yellow. Mine stays red but it is not a coil, it appears to be a rectangular shaped piece of something???. I have taken burner off and it is clear and the holes are not clogged. Do you think the igniter is bad? My other thought is there is a valve that looks like all the gas flows through. Its a SIEBE Appliance Control with 4 sets of Alpha/Numeric numbers on it. Could that stop gas to once burner but the let it through to the other 5 burners? Can you point me in the right direction
Thanks
Tom

Old 06-10-11, 05:52 AM
Admin Emeritus
Received 5 Votes on 4 Posts
Hello tsquinn. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

Almost missed your question...... because it was attached to some else's. Should be a separately posted question.... But at least you where reading prior posts of similar or exactly like problems....

My terminology error... Correct part name is HSI. (Hot Surface Igniter) Not coil. Rectangular in shape. That part (HSI) needs to be replaced.

Best first attempt to fix the problem is to replace that igniter. Unplug the appliance and remove the existing igniter. Replace it with exact OEM igniter.

Exactly step by step how to replace it is >HERE< in the sticky note.

Cautionary Note:
Before attempting any repairs, be sure to unplug the appliance from the wall receptacle power source first. Turn off the tiny isolation gas valve before removing the gas control valve.

Retail appliance parts dealers can also help determine what the possible problem may be also. They will need the make, model an serial numbers. Appliance parts dealers are an excellent source for original replacement parts. Dealers are listed in the phone book under appliances.

Kindly use the reply button to post all replies, add additional information or ask additional questions when replies are posted. Using this method moves and/or keeps the topic back up to the top of the list of questions automatically and keeps all content on the same subject within one thread.