Gas Valve Shutoff

Old 12-14-00, 05:17 PM
Visiting Guest
Thumbs up

Which way do you turn off a natural gas valve? Is it all the way right to turn off, similiar to a plumbing line or the opposite?

Old 12-14-00, 08:13 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:Mark

If your referring to the type of shut off valve that you need to use an adjustable wrench on, most have a large washer with a stop on them.

This stop is just above the nut. Look closely and you'll see the washer ring held in place on the threads by a nut. That stop dent slides around to a stop in the valve body. The direction will then be confirmed.

If you were to turn the valve in the incorrect direction, that stop dent would jump the stop on the valve body and LIFT the inner core and the valve will leak gas.

On this type of valve, it may be necessary to SLIGHTLY, CAREFULLY and GENTLY loosen the nut on the under side of the valve before attempting to turn the valve.

If you have to loosen that nut to turn the valve, do not forget to retighten it CAREFULLY and not too much. Just enough to snug it up! DO NOT overtighten it. You could SNAP the threads and the core will or could fall/blow out.

If the valve has a lever handle, it will only turn one way.
Should you have to replace any gas valve, only buy the handle lever type.

Old 12-15-00, 01:31 AM
Visiting Guest
Greetings. Some gas valves turn clock wise and/or counter clock wise to shut the gas off. In any event the handle or part that you turn sholud be turned 90 degrees opposite of the gas line. + +
+ + off
---------+-+----------
---------+-+----------

open/on
---------+++++--------
---------+++++--------

Caution: If you have to loosen the nut on the back of the gas valve to turn it, you might create a small gas leak. If you suspect this may of happened, you can get a little bit of dish washing liquid and a little bit of water to detect a leak. Swish the water and soap to make a bubble solution. Then spread it over the gas valve. If you have a gas leak you will see bubbles start to blow through the area that needs to be tightened up some. Recheck it again it you have to make an adjustment.

Old 12-15-00, 04:44 AM
Visiting Guest
Gas Valve - Lever Type

The Gas Valve in question is the lever type. I am assuming that the "closed" position is all the way to the right. This is to an outdoor natural gas grill that tipped over in the snow and I smell no gas, so I assume this closed the natural gas line. Thanks.

Old 12-15-00, 07:42 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hi:mark1r

Thanks for the update on the type of gas valve your referring to. In your first posting, the type of gas valve you had wasn't mentioned. Since many others read and learn from these postings, I covered both types.

To answer your question, the lever will only turn in one direction. The handle lever will be across the pipe at a 90 degree angle, when the valve is in the closed position, as correctly explained by OB1.

When the handle is parallel to the pipe, the valve is opened.

Hope this posting and the posting information from OB1 helps you.

Thanks OB1 for the reminder to always soap test when checking for leaks and after making any repairs.

Regards to both of you,
TomBartco

Old 12-16-00, 07:25 AM
Visiting Guest
Thanks

Thanks, OB1 and Tom_Bartco! On my gas valve it was to the left to make the 90 degree shut off! I appreciate your help. Thanks again!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: