Switching from electric range to propane

Old 11-14-10, 01:00 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Switching from electric range to propane

Hi all,

This is my 1st post. We just bought a Frigidaire gas range. Will use propane, likely a 100 lb. tank. LP conversion kit was included with the stove. I sent several on-line inquiries to local propane companies to get a rough estimate of $$ and services available. There was a wide range. Some identified leased tank, "free" use of tank with a minimum usage, and the option to buy and use my own tank. I am leaning toward this last option.

Are any brand of tanks preferred over others or are there any to avoid?
One correspondence identified that tank and regulator belonged to company and all else the homeowner. My question is in regards to the regulator. My stove came with a built in regulator. Do I still need to purchase one for the tank as with my outdoor grill and smoker? Please explain. If so, is a 2 stage preferred over a single stage? Any preferred brands?

I plan on installing the black pipe myself. I've done a lot with galvanized and the process is basically the same. The run will be short. It will go through the back wall, 90 degrees to the left and another 4-5 foot piece and done. Tank location is more than 3 feet from any window and more than 10 feet from any electrical source.

What is the best material to go from the tank to the blackpipe? I sense copper is preferred but can any flexible hose material be used? Similar to that on the propane grill.

Thanks for you advice. I want to have as much done and material available to reduce the installation cost from the company. My labor is free.
Old 11-15-10, 07:19 AM
Sharp Advice's Avatar
Admin Emeritus
Join Date: Feb 1998
Location: The Shake and Bake State USA
Posts: 9,927
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Hello PSU1972. Welcome to the Gas Appliances topic and the Do-It-Yourself Web Site.

First, in my opinion, you'll need a permit. Highly suggest you go to your local city or county building & safety office or safety department, whatever it's called and obtain a permit.

Get the copy of installations codes and or requirements and follow them to the letter. Then have the final job inspected and approved. Approved is usually called or referred to as signed off.

In the above manner, you'll insure the job is done properly, safely and meets all codes. A must if you want to be safe and also be sure your home owners insurance policy will cover any damages and or fires that may be caused. Hopefully none ever happen but one never knows how an insurance company will view any claims in an attempt to avoid paying any claim presented.

A "LOOP" hole if you will.... The job not done right will leave them an out and you at a loss.....

Second choice is to hire a plumber or plumbing company that has a license to install gas line and or gas piping and install appliances. Hiring a licensed installer insures compliance to all codes and maintains warranty and home owners insurance policy's.

Price does not insure quality. Verify the license of whom you may hire. Ask for referrals at the permit office. May provide some.

Keep the receipt in a safe place too....

The project you are about to undertake can be done as a do it yourself project. The primary importance here is to do it right the first time and be sure it meets all codes for your area.

Nothing more valuable then peace of mind, property protection and personal safety always first IMO....

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: