gas hot water heater

Old 12-17-00, 04:36 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

My gas hot water heater is about 11 years old. Every time gas is cut off to the appliance, a small puddle of water accumulates. After gas is restored, no leaks have been noticed in the past. However, this time the puddle of water remains and I would like to know if you recommend anything to remedy this situation? Also, does this sound like it may be on its last leg?

Old 12-17-00, 09:34 PM
Admin Emeritus
Upvotes: 0
Received 7 Upvotes on 6 Posts
Post Flush Valve Drips?

Hihilipward82

Although you didn't mention where this drip is coming from, I'll assume you mean it's coming from the flush valve.

This a common problem on older tanks. Often happens when the water turns cold for some reason. The gasket inside the faucet shrinks and allows some water out, thus the drip. When the water is hot, the gasket expands and seals the faucet and the drip stops.

However, some faucets never stop. Sediment and rust form around the valve seat area and when the gasket shrinks, the rust or sediment fill the area and the faucet seat becomes damaged. The drip remains.

Only cure is to replace the faucet or install a faucet cap.

Any ten year old tank could be on it's last leg. They usually last only ten years. Any additional time beyond ten years is welcome and consider exceptional service. I would suggest you start saving up your extra pocket change <if needed> for a replacement tank sometime soon.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: